Yes, she loves being a part of the brat pack. She is a real groupie lol, and perhaps doesn't want to give up her spot as biggest brat.

We initially had her isolated for a few days, but I ended up putting her out with her girls to see if she'd perk up. The result? She perked up but still didn't eat enough. Now I'm doing a hybrid system where she spends the meat of the day out there after I've been sure to get something in her crop at the beginning and end of the day. At night, I take her in to sleep and bring her best buddy in, too, for a slumber party. With this model I've had the most success both ensuring she eats enough, doesn't get too depressed, but still has r&r time (and time for her to monitor poops and behavior and such). I think she wants so badly to be a part of things and maintain her place that she exhausts herself a bit out there.

Thank you again, for helping bounce ideas off me and in general being a kind and supportive person (like tolerating extremely long replies to your posts).

P.S. happy to report she is in and heartily eating a soft boiled egg more than I've seen her eat on her own in a while. I remain cautiously optimistic. (With my luck, tomorrow she will decide she is offended by the mere sight of an egg).
You are so welcome! I am glad to be of what little help I can be. Just wish I could do more. Hope she is really on the mend. Only if sheer will and desire would heal and move mountains we would have no worries huh? I sure do hope she keeps on improving and I love the slumber party idea. My nine girls have 8 feet or more of roost board space more like ten feet and they have a front and back roost board with a little support board in between them and they sleep on about two feet or less of roost space all huddled up like contortionist. When I go into the coop at dusk to shut the big door I have to keep from cracking up at them they are so funny and so cute. Each three breeds are all sisters but they act as if they are all sisters when it’s bed time and here it can be 85 degrees at 8:00 when they go to bed. They don’t care to them they act like it’s 20 below and sleep huddled together like they did when they were two days old. I don’t think I will ever be able to introduce any new chicks to this flock if I wanted to they are so tight knit. Goodness! Take care of your little Easter! I know she is keeping you on your toes. You are going to be worn out from one chickens issues for sure. Good luck with her. I wish you the best!

You're very welcome, darlin! I try to always kep in mind that all good flock owners don't necessarily love their chickens as indivuals like some of us do, and even though they are well cared for and respected, not all chickens get to enjoy the companionship and spoiling human affection naturally brings with it, so when one of my special ladies is on a downward journey I like to think they knew they were held in some sort of special regard. Makes me feel better, anyway! 😅

Best of luck with your Easter, and I've got my fingers crossed for you that she doesn't turn her beak up at her breakfast! If you can get your hands on some live mealworms, you might have better luck, I can't get my flock to even touch a dried one anymore and I can't say it's not just my own wishful thinking but my girls refeather great when I have them on hand during molting!

You're very welcome, darlin! I try to always kep in mind that all good flock owners don't necessarily love their chickens as indivuals like some of us do, and even though they are well cared for and respected, not all chickens get to enjoy the companionship and spoiling human affection naturally brings with it, so when one of my special ladies is on a downward journey I like to think they knew they were held in some sort of special regard. Makes me feel better, anyway! 😅

Best of luck with your Easter, and I've got my fingers crossed for you that she doesn't turn her beak up at her breakfast! If you can get your hands on some live mealworms, you might have better luck, I can't get my flock to even touch a dried one anymore and I can't say it's not just my own wishful thinking but my girls refeather great when I have them on hand during molting!
If she sticks around I'm trying the mealworms tomorrow or Tuesday. Despite having a good day (was pretty energetic--running and scratching around with her sisters throughout the day and napping less)--I noticed her crop is not functioning well. That was one of the telltale signs 2 weeks back when we brought her to the vet. I lavished her with treats and belly rubs today.

I have much respect for seasoned flock keepers who know when to make hard decisions quickly, but I'm still too green and attached to mine like an extension of my family. I'm hoping with time I'll get better at this.

Thanks for the kind wishes.

My hen Joy had the same thing happen around this same time. She survived, and like you, she’s the hen I’ve bonded with most. Joy recovered very well, but she never laid another egg.

I struggled with knowing what to do as well. She was a slow mover for a while, I was worried it was a sign she wasn’t really well, but after a while she got stronger. EYP of course takes a toll on a bird, and Joy had a slow recovery, but eventually, she was up chasing frogs and pullets again. Now, I can’t outrun her. She’s back to stealing my lunch (I’ve made it a habit of only bringing out chicken-safe food now just in case :rolleyes:) and is now going through a molt (taking it like a champ. Her sisters are acting so pitiful about it and they’ve only lost a few feathers!)

I’m glad I chose to bring her though. It felt selfish of me at first, but I saw how much she loved life, and she made it through. I’d like to hear what path you took with Easter, how did she recover? Or did you have to make the difficult decision to let her go?

I am so sorry about your sweet hen. I don't know if you would consider a hormonal implant for her, I don't know cost or if your vet does them, but I know a hen or two around here who has one to prevent recurrent EYP after an initial diagnosis. I understand it can get pricey because they need to be done every 6 months. It just prevents ovulation, Norplant for chickens I guess.
I really hope things turn around for her, it sounds like this has taken a real toll on her health for now. She is a lovely hen and I like the look on her face, she looks like she has so much personality. I hope she rallies and feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

My hen Joy had the same thing happen around this same time. She survived, and like you, she’s the hen I’ve bonded with most. Joy recovered very well, but she never laid another egg.

I struggled with knowing what to do as well. She was a slow mover for a while, I was worried it was a sign she wasn’t really well, but after a while she got stronger. EYP of course takes a toll on a bird, and Joy had a slow recovery, but eventually, she was up chasing frogs and pullets again. Now, I can’t outrun her. She’s back to stealing my lunch (I’ve made it a habit of only bringing out chicken-safe food now just in case :rolleyes:) and is now going through a molt (taking it like a champ. Her sisters are acting so pitiful about it and they’ve only lost a few feathers!)

I’m glad I chose to bring her though. It felt selfish of me at first, but I saw how much she loved life, and she made it through. I’d like to hear what path you took with Easter, how did she recover? Or did you have to make the difficult decision to let her go?

Hi there, I'm so happy you reached out with yours and Joy's story. It's always warming to hear of a happy ending. I'm glad she is doing well! ❤ What is her breed and age?

Joy's saga sounds quite similar to my Easter's, who also always seemed "behind" her sisters, especially in terms of size/weight. Her recovery was slow, and, after over a month of various antibiotics, vet appointments, crop massages, and all kinds of TLC, I was getting ready to let her go. Each day I'd wake up thinking "today will be the day I have her put to sleep." But then, each day, she do something indicating she still had an undying zeal for life which I read--perhaps cruelly--as a sign that she could keep fighting the good fight. For example, the night before I planned to have her euthanized, I let her out of the hospital pen to give her belly rubs on the floor (she loves belly scratches). Then I noticed a big, juicy cricket slowly ambling towards us from the other side of the room. With curiosity, I watched it make its way across the floor, right up to Easter's toes, almost as if in self-sacrifice (it was that time of year when the crickets start their death march). She immediately perked up, dove for it, and gulped it down with happy trills. I then thought there might still be a chance, and decided against euthanasia.

I'm happy to report, Easter made a 180 degree turnaround in the weeks following that anecdote. I'm glad I kept fighting for her, because, like your Joy, she is clearly enjoying every moment of chicken life--sassing her sisters, gobbling up treats, flying onto my back shoulders every time I let my guard down, etc. One thing I should mention--and admittedly, this is purely anecdotal--is that her sudden turnaround seemed to coincide with a last-ditch attempt to administer colloidal silver. I knew she wasn't getting better (at this point her crop wasn't functioning at all and she was barely pooping) and the antibiotics had run their course. As a Hail Mary, I mixed colloidal silver into a small bit of tuna mash and within the next 24 hours she was eating a ton, chattering, and pooping. She went from the brink of death to being a healthy, happy chicken. Once she fully recovered (I treated her w/ colloidal silver for 10 days), I put her back out with the girls and she's since been happy as can be.

Like Joy, Easter hasn't laid an egg since--and I'm glad for it. I think her molt saved her in the end, since it occurred right as she fell ill with EYP. The cessation in laying gave her time to heal. My fingers are crossed that she will never lay again so that she can remain strong and healthy. While rare, there are cases in which hens cease laying after recovering from EYP.

Of course, I know there may be a day when she falls ill again, and I'm always preparing myself for it--till then the joy of seeing her thrive each day is priceless. And I'm sure you feel the same way about your sweet Joy. I'm so glad you decided to fight the good fight with her--it's so hard to tell whether we are helping or prolonging the suffering, but in this case it was certainly worth it for us. Thanks again for sharing Joy's story.:love

Last edited:
I dont have any answers for you but I offer support and hugs. The hardest part is - whether she had originally been your favorite or not - tending to and hand feeding a sick bird for weeks gives you a significant attachment and makes them harder to let go. :(
So true! She had already been my favorite hen prior to falling ill, but helping her through her illness only deepened that bond. She now will fly onto my arm on command, constantly pesters me for belly scratches, and follows me everywhere when supervise free-ranging. Of course, that'll make it that much harder should she get ill again, but I'm so thankful for each day I see her thriving.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to report she is still doing well (see previous post for updates ^).

I am so sorry about your sweet hen. I don't know if you would consider a hormonal implant for her, I don't know cost or if your vet does them, but I know a hen or two around here who has one to prevent recurrent EYP after an initial diagnosis. I understand it can get pricey because they need to be done every 6 months. It just prevents ovulation, Norplant for chickens I guess.
I really hope things turn around for her, it sounds like this has taken a real toll on her health for now. She is a lovely hen and I like the look on her face, she looks like she has so much personality. I hope she rallies and feels better soon. Please keep us posted.
Thank you for your kind words! She does have personality in spades--always has since day one. Small but mighty!

I've thought about the implant and may discuss it with my vet, but I worry about cost and overall quality of life. I've read some positive stories, but others make it seem as though it might dampen her ability to thrive--even if it does save her. This is definitely a choice I am keeping in mind though. For now she's doing so well (I'll have to post update pictures). She gained weight, has a rosy comb, and her new feathers came back beautifully.

For those implant anecdotes you're familiar with, have they been effective and do the hens seem happy/healthy?

Here's my most recent photo of her--it's not the best, but she's the little EE in the middle looking like she's going a mile a minute (because she always is). It's hard to get her in pictures because she is always a blur!

IMG_20201130_151036.jpg

And here she is sunbathing with her sweetheart, Ozzy, the bantam too:

IMG_20201105_111643-02.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom