My Facebook friends just don't get it! So excited about my coop...

bendystar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
San Diego
Well, at least excited to see it happen! We are starting construction of the coop today! We have 2 speckled Sussex and one Americauna (5 weeks old) and we have a small suburban yard in San Diego. (We are not really zoned for chickens but all our neighbors are cool so we're going for it)

My husband says he can have the frame up today! I can't wait to have our dusty little chickens out of our living room. Geez they make the whole house dusty with their scratching pine chips and feed.

Anyway, we are using a design similar to this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26484
I'm
so thankful for all the awesome detailed coops posted so we can get the perfect coop for us.

Any diehard advice before we put saw to wood?

Thanks!
yippiechickie.gif

Visited a friend yesterday that I hadn't seen in awhile. Sitting on her back patio I kept commenting on her wonderful garden shed that her husband had built. She had hanging baskets of flowers, cherry tomatoes, strawberry plants, and others all hanging around the shed.
As was amazed when I saw chicken heads peeking out the door. Never would have known it was a chicken coop. They are not zoned for chickens but her neighbors are fine with it. She gives them fresh eggs once in awhile.

Wish I had taken a pic.

My Facebook friends are just gonzo about my chicken coop.

My brother says I need to add satelite tv; a friend wants to add a hot tub, a cousin wants faux painting on the inside and mini-blinds. And if I wanted to I could take orders to build at least 3 more coops. I'm adding solar patio lights today (another suggestion from a Facebook friend)

I post updates to the coop progress all the time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rural_route_2/sets/72157624041153711/

Yeah, some of my facebook friends think I'm crazy. But alot of them really enjoy all the pics of the chickens, goats and ducks. I actually have some that check back in for updates on my goat Steve (he has his own photo album!). You should friend some people from BYC on FB! I only have like 3 BYC friends on FB, they get it, it's nice to have that in common.

Last edited:
Most of my FB friends think I've gone over the edge, but they are amused nonetheless. They love the photos - I really must post more of them. That would REALLY clue 'em into the fact that I'm REALLY into chickens. Right now, they probably think it's just an egg thing coupled with having moved to the country.

They're AMAZED I built my own coops. Hah! I was a couch potato for the first 55 years of my life; this past year or so has been just great. I still do things slowly (couch potato, remember?) and take a lot of breaks, but the chickens make me really happy.

Back
Top Bottom