My Favorite Delaware Pullet is a Cockerel. How Loud DO They Crow?

ZenHens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
My awesome little Delaware (almost nine weeks) has sprouted a bright red comb, waddles, and is strutting around like he is large and in charge. Big ol' legs with ginormous claws. He has to be a cockerel.

This chicken is so social and is just such a neat, gorgeous bird. I live in a town where roos are prohibited, so I have to give him back to the breeder. Bah. No one would ever know if not for the crowing, obviously. One set of neighbors is my parents, so they're fine. The across the street neighbor is my grandfather, so he's cool. The other neighbor is across a big church parking lot.

I've never owned chickens before. How far does the crowing carry? Is it loud and exaggerated like TV? LOL. Would it travel 100 yards to our backside across the fence neighbors?

I know I need to do the right thing, but I love little Parmesean. He's the awesome. I'm glad the breeder will take him back, but he'll likely be food and I'll end up with three of my four pullets having been returned and replaced with non-socialized free rangers.

I do have the same problem, I'd like to know as well.
yippiechickie.gif

Their crowing can carry quiet a distance. Of course some are louder than others and some crow more often. There is one down my street from me that I have never seen but hear frequently when outside. Probably about 50 yards away give or take. We can't have roo's either but his is behind a wood fence and no one has complained.

Back
Top Bottom