My FEMALE duck has grown a MALE tail curl!

Keely Noodle

Chirping
Sep 15, 2017
As the title says, my female duck has just grown a curly tail feather like all drakes have! I know that she is female because of her deep quack and most of all I have seen her lay an egg with my own eyes. When it first began growing I thought maybe it was just an out of place feather but today I've just noticed that it's turned into a full curl!
When the sun catches her you can even see a bit of green on her head, I wonder if this is common and if not, perhaps her testosterone levels are higher than the average female or is possibly intersex in some way.
P1050684.JPG
P1050688.JPG

P1050689.JPG

Just over 2 years old and she laid last spring. She lays blue eggs and I have been collecting some blue ones but I think they're from someone else since hers tended to be rounder but I'm not sure.

Just like us women if we have more Testosterone than we need can have hair on our faces well she could be going through this in her body. I am surprised at over 2 she hasn't gotten alot of white on her. If you want to find out if she is laying put some food coloring around her vent but keep her out of water for a few days.

Are they supposed to have a lot of white on them? I just thought her being mostly black was genetics but that does explain why my other female who was cream-ish colour suddenly grew more white plumage. Do you think this is anything to worry about?

Are they supposed to have a lot of white on them? I just thought her being mostly black was genetics but that does explain why my other female who was cream-ish colour suddenly grew more white plumage. Do you think this is anything to worry about?

After 2-3 years some ducks will develop white feathers, becoming more prevalent as they age. My East Indies only have a few white feathers on them. beautiful Black Runner!

Last edited:
My soon to be 4 yr old black Runner. Just typical for dark colored ducks my blue Runner is getting whiter too. Plus even my Muscovy female molt out more of their colored feathers every year and are going mostly white.
B2CC4DD8-0DF1-42A5-B421-5016EE9931EA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom