Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
So yesterday I waited around for dear wife to get home so we could go up the mountain together. I hadn't been in almost 12 days so I was anxious to get out and get some exercise.

I went to the bathroom, noticed something on the floor, bent down to pick it up and felt something in my lower back slip out of place.

PAIN! PAIN! PAIN and MORE PAIN! I couldn't walk. I couldn't crawl. I was ready to have someone call 911.

So after about an hour on the floor, I am finally able to get up and DW got me dressed and then took me to the chiropractor. THANK the Lord he was still open on New Year's Eve.

But, alas, he didn't do me much good. x-ray revealed that I have bone on bone betwen L4 and L5. There is ZERO disc there.

Got home and worked my way painfully into bed... used an old desk chair with rollers for a walker all bent over.

Sent DW to the Pharmacy for some drugs that a dentist friend of mine had phoned in for me.

She got to the pharmacy too late and it was CLOSED!

Miserable night!

When it came time to go to the bathroom... (sorry for all of the gross details) we got me into and onto the throne, sat down and I said, "I'm in so much pain I think I'm either going to pass out or throw up". She ran and got a bag for me to throw up in. I then passed out and before she could get the bag up to my mouth I threw up all over while I was totally blacked out. All she could do was hold me up to keep me from falling off of the toilet while I was unconscious. So I wake up a few minutes later and with a nasty taste in my mouth, still in excruciating pain and she gives me the details. She was not happy.

Spent one of the most horrid, pain filled nights of my life in bed. Couldn't move or the pain was too much... couldn't turn from one side to the other, or even onto my side without help and I'm not a tiny guy. God bless my wonderful wife.

So twice today, I've actually got up and walked around a little, holding onto either the shoulders of my wife from behind or my 14 year olds. Got a couple boiled eggs for breakfast and a chicken and rice lean cuisine for lunch. (my favorite... rare treat) Finally got some valium and vicodin into me and I almost don't want to die anymore.

... and I have patients scheduled from 7:30 to 2:30 tomorrow without any breaks.

My mother who is in town tells me I should just cancel all of them as she wouldn't want me working on her if I'm in pain... I'm hoping that 12 hours from now I will be semi functional. Then I can rest Saturday and Sunday and hopefully be back up and at it by Monday... my schedule is jam packed Monday through Thursday and then DW and I are supposed to fly away for the next weekend for a small overnighter getaway, Friday afternoon to late Saturday night.

I am much more positive now than I was 24 hours ago. I'm hoping I can live now.. .then I was wishing I could pass on.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your back...I have back issues too and they are NOT fun. Try not to overdo it tomorrow though, or you'll be stuck in bed for a week....been there.
hmm.png

So sorry you feel so bad! That is horrible and no fun. You sound like you have a great wife, from the sounds of what happened to you. Hope your back feels better really soon!

Now guys don't understand labor pain, but if you have back pain, you can understand what we go through. All 4 of my kids I had the labor in my back. Needless to say I got the epidureal. I was not going to suffer with the back pain. So I feel for you for sure!

Have you tried a heating pad?

ouch! is right!....sorry to hear about all your pain!....so...what are they going to do about this for you?....i mean if the disc is no good or gone....
th.gif
...when are you going to a doctors??..and your mother is right!...how are you gonna work bending over people all day long?...
old.gif
...best wishes and hope you get better!

Yikes! Don't overdo taking care of other people and forget to take care of yourself! I did that this spring/summer and I think I may have torn something in my shoulder... ow.

Get some Midol and take that. My Doctor put me on that years ago when I ruptured 3 discs in Lumbar-Sacro region many years ago. (1983, to be exact) It works better than Tylenol or Advil(Which I can't take anyway)

Also get some papaya juice and start drinking that, if you aren't allergic to it. There is an enzyme in the papaya juice that helps with soft tissue problems.

Back
Top Bottom