My Friends Are Sick Of Chicken Pix

Chicken Profile - #1
Bar the Barred Rock
Age at time of posting: ~8 months
Source: friends who moved, unsure of origin
Eggs: pinkish brown, I think.

Bar is the top hen, 100%. She is bold, curious, adorable, and always in charge. When she decides it's bedtime, she stands in front of the coop and yells at the other girls until they follow suit. Also the most prone to flying attempts, unsure why.

Favorite treat: grubblies/mealworms, also loves to peck at shoes.
Favorite forbidden treat: attempting to eat the tomato plants. We shoo her away, she immediately runs back for another peck. She gives me palpitations.

IMG_20201126_141216.jpg

Chicken Profile - #2
Eggy the Rhode Island Red
Eggs: Tan brown, sometimes with speckles

I'm not sure where Eggy is on the hierarchy. She's the first to follow Bar anywhere, and doesn't square up with her, like Leggy does. That said, no one really fights. Just sometimes they run up to each other real fast with their neck feathers all puffed out. It's funny to see. Like, did the other hen just say something rude? Come on now gals.

Eggy isn't super curious, and HAAAATES being picked up. She will fight me every step of the way. Unless I am actively trying to touch her, she is just happy to be there, and will scratch/peck anywhere and everywhere.

Favorite treat: whatever I have in my hands
Favorite forbidden snack: she ate a sticker from an apple once. I didn't even give her the apple, I set it down on a milk crate to go chase Bar away from the tomato plants, and Eggy struck. She ALSO gives me palpitations.

(She is called Eggy because she was the first to lay eggs)

IMG_20201128_122123.jpg

Chicken Profile - #3
Leggy the Rhode Island Red
Eggs: N/A

Leggy is special. She has one knock-kneed leg, thus the name. She's a touch skinnier than Eggy, and sometimes stumbles, but seems to have a pretty good quality of life so far. We are watching her closely, and if it progresses to a stage where she seems in pain, or if she is having trouble moving, we are physically prepared to euthanize (but I am NOT mentally prepared, at all). She's also kinda my favorite. Underdog, you know.

Leggy also does not lay eggs. I really don't think she's a secret rooster, just based on their age and the fact she doesn't crow. I believe her leg deformity has something to do with her lack of eggs. Maybe she'll surprise me, though.

She is fairly on par with Bar in regards to curiosity. She's more likely to wander away from the other two girls during free-range time. She's also the first to try any new treats I give, and first in line when I shake the grubblies bag. With her leg issue, she doesn't run like normal chickens, kind of skip-hops. It's REALLY cute.

SHE IS ALSO A JERK. I still love her. She has a thing for feet (hate it!).

Favorite treat: literally anything, the goober.
Favorite forbidden snack: SHOES. FEET. LEGS. She squares up with my shins all the time, and I can't wear slip-on shoes around her, or she'll peck the exposed foot skin. She also picks fights with the eyelets on my boots. Idk what her beef is, my feets have never done anything to her!

The photos show her leg deformity, and then also show the rest of her (because she's beautiful).

IMG_20201128_114252.jpg
IMG_20201128_121702.jpg

Okay one more!! So, I know dust baths are a thing, but I hadn't quite made the logical leap from "birds dust bathe" and "chickens are birds" to "chickens take dust baths" until VERY RECENTLY. The big girls have scratched themselves a dust bath hole, and I hadn't seen them use it until again, VERY RECENTLY.

SO I mayyyy have googled "chicken seizures". And now it's a running joke with my partner and I that the chickens have a designated "seizure spot" in the run.
(Slightly blurry, taken with my phone through hardware cloth)
IMG_20201128_144136.jpg

Look at the anger in these eyes. So dramatic. I think they're gonna start blasting Simple Plan and Good Charlotte soon, and tell me "it's not a phase mom!!! This is who I really am!!!"

IMG_20201205_090924__01.jpg

I love your flock. Keep posting pictures. I will never get tired! Welcome to BYC. It's great to have you here.

Back
Top Bottom