My heart is broken, Scovey Hen flew off yesterday

Quote:
It's been very warm here into the middle 80's uppper 80's and i have been running a fan 24/7 since the weather turned so warm inside the coops. I had to take the duckling from my brahma she kicked it out of the nest box. when i found it it was close to death, cold. My dh and I made a brooder up and put it in our bedroom. at 90* is that a good temp? It has made a a great recovery and is alseep with a stuffed bear. The other chick was shrinked wrapped and died. There is 1 more and I really don't give it much hope. Tried to candle but I really don't know what I am doing, so will leave it for a couple more days and if nothing happens then take it from her. Gosh did not expect to be foster mom and have chicks hatching under a broody next week but this little one will not have a buddy.
sad.png
My grandchildren are here for 2 weeks so they named the baby Hope. and of course we had a funeral for the duckling that died. I just hope I can take care of this little one since i have always relied on my mamas to do it. never hatched in an incubator either. But i have learned alot on here so hopefully I'll do good.
smile.png

Oh Miss Lydia, you can do it!! Give the baby a little mirror if you have one, he/she will use it as a friend when he/she can't be in your hands or by your side.
Was the other egg supposed to hatch the same time as this one that has already hatched? The baby might be trying to hatch but having a hard time. If you don't have an incubator you could always use a plastic bin with a heating pad in the bottom..turn the heating pad on, gently/loosely lay a wet (hot water) paper towel over the egg and cover with a large plastic ice cream bucket (I poked 2 little holes in the bottom of the bucket). THis will help the egg stay moist and maybe the duckling will be able to hatch easily. This wouldn't work as an "incubator" but I've done it twice to help ducklings hatch and it worked. Since then I bought an incubator.

Last month I had to help 6 mallard babies hatch, they were having an awful time because the membrane was dry and shrinking..some eggs were incubated under a chicken and some under a duck, both had problems.

Keep us posted please!!

Michelle

Miss Lydia,
The reason I asked about the temps is because one of my new Scovy moms clutch started hatching w/two Calls yesterday and her clutch of Scovy ducklings today. It's been really warm here also and I noticed Ginger kept getting out of her nest box and talking to the babies. When I'd open up the duck house to look in on her she would be off the hatching ducklings more often than not.
barnie.gif
I was real worried that they would get too cold but they've all dried off and seem just fine. I'm not used to mom's NOT sitting on the babies while they hatch out. It did seem to help keep them fm getting crushed while they were moving about and whenever I showed up she'd like as not jump back into the nest and warn me off.
smile.png

Earlier this spring when it was really cold still and dipping down into the 30's at night, I put a heat lamp in the duck house close to the nest box of one of my other Scovy moms whos clutch started hatching and I think I messed up the hatch. Lost the whole clutch except for 1 duckling which had just hatched out before I got the lamp put in. I'm now thinking I made it too warm for them. Our weather has been so wild this spring I do think it's affecting the hatches. I've never had so much trouble w/my girls brooding before.
idunno.gif

Glad to hear the one baby made it & hope the last egg does hatch o.k.
fl.gif

Quote:
so sorry. I really hope you find her and if you don't lets hope she found a beautiful pond. I totally understand how you are feeling.

Good luck.

Greetings, It's not over yet. When I was a boy, my friend Butch, a border collie, was lost on a trip to Alondra Park. Months later, I came home with a report card I didn't want my father to see. Then it happened, mom called "come in here!" Oh no! They know, I thought. When I went into the dinning room, there was Butch with bloody feet, whining, trying to get to me.
If something bad happened the last thing she though of was you.
Or if your baby is being held captive she is thinking about you, when the food she eats is like that she had with you, or when a voice, she hears is like yours. She may have had her wings clipped, if without being noticed, they grow back, she will take to the sky and God willing, ride the wind back to moma.

Oh Miss Lydia that's wonderful news!!!!!!!!! I'm tickled to bits for you Hon! Now get some photos up so we can all adore the little one with you :)

Michelle

Quote:
Hi. and thankyou, we're hoping for a girl so my grankids named it Hope, I have a question since I am a new mama duck, I have had Muscovies for 7 years and never had to take one and raise myself. Ok Hope hatched sometime early Friday morn. when should i offer her food and water? It's nibbleing on me when i hold it, don't know if that means it's hungry of just feeling out it's new world.More worried about water really than food since it's so hot. oh and my avatar is the onluy pic. i have so far..
love.gif
already mama duck doesn't have any idea what she is missing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom