My hen can’t walk!

Pics
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs What a beautiful girl she was! Sadly, if I am right and Einstein has Marek's Disease, then it is highly likely that Toby died from it. It can cause visceral tumours which grow very rapidly and if they are located on a vital organ like the heart, it can cause sudden death. The only way to know for sure would be to send Toby's body off for a necropsy.
Good to hear that Einstein is still full of vitality, but a little disappointed that she is not making more progress with her mobility and coordination, but it is still early days and it took a good month of physical therapy for my girl Joy, to make significant progress.
thank you. I just hope it was quick and painless. I don't think a necropsy is a option for me at the moment because I know it would be expensive, and i already buried her.
Yes, i am a bit disappointed about her lack of progress too, but I don mind too much as long as she is happy and eating well. She is doing pretty well with her physical therapy, but still hasn't made much progress since the last posted video. I will keep working with her, and hopefully she will gain more coordination soon.
I have noticed that she is still extremely skinny, even though she has been eating well, so i added a bit of scratch and grit to her diet this morning because i know it is high in carbohydrates. I have also continued feeding her an egg nearly every day for added protein and vitamins.

I would be inclined to offer her more protein rather than scratch carbohydrates. Try her with a pouch of cat food or some raw liver as that has lots of good nutrients in it. Maybe a bit of oily fish occasionally or some canned tuna or salmon in oil or a bit of ground beef. Obviously these should be small treats along side a grower or unmedicated chick crumb wet mash.

Hey guys. Just a little update.
After 4 months of ups and downs, constant care, waking up early, force watering and painstakingly filing Einstein’s little beak and nails, she passed away today. She was very loved, and will always be cherished. She was beautiful and she added variety and color to my flock. I will miss her very much, but I’m glad she is no longer sick. Thank you guys for helping me and sorry for not updating sooner.

Here are here are a few pictures to remember her by.
1583E513-5AEC-43F9-A981-CABB5B8EF919.jpeg

DBA3E834-13EA-4586-82CA-77C20CC57ED9.jpeg
AE5B1A99-7031-4DA0-8DA5-21C28EDB21F6.jpeg
E13FF9F1-2D74-44BB-BD5F-D3296B99F3A9.jpeg
DFC02C60-6B7A-461F-8234-CEDF9CC29817.jpeg
F8A90DA1-0794-4DC9-B15D-0BE07A538306.jpeg

So sorry to hear she did not make it. I know how much harder it is when you have nursed them for so long and they lose the battle. It leaves an even bigger hole in your heart but at least you gave her every chance to fight it and get better, if she was going to. Sadly in this case, it was not meant to be. Thanks for the lovely photos. She was a beauty.

Back
Top Bottom