my hen crowed last night. (ha ha)

thank you pine grove.
can you tell me what the AGF hen's behavior is like with other hens? particularily with gentle birds like silkies?
i think i will end up keeping the cock inside as a "house chicken" anyway because he is so mellow and also because he is handicapped and i don't want him to get picked on.
thank you,
j

He is some kind of gamey type chicken, that is for sure. He is probably a mixed bird, and could be anything. Some better pics of him and the hen may help us tell for sure, if that is even possible. But if he is calm and nice I would definately not let his "breed" count against him. Chickens from every breed can be good or bad (that seems like a familiar theme.)
wink.png

I would introduce him to the flock slowly, by putting him in a cage in the pen for a few days prior to integration.

as far as gamefowl go,
I would never put two roosters together in a pen, ragardless of their breeding.
sometimes two hens will fight really hard. this can be as dangerous as a cock fight, sometiimes.
Keep all roosters separated, and any hens that want to fight.

Cockfighting is misunderstood.

As often am I.

You cant make chickens fight. It is genetic. But even the best bird genetically cant compete if he is not treated right in the feeder pen and workout pen.
So cockers usually take better care of their birds than most other folks.
I was raised in that, dont fight anymore. But I learned how to feed birds by a cocker.

Good luck with your bird, he is very pretty. Hope to see more pics of him as he matures.

I'm a breeder of gamefowl and i'm 99.9% sure he is a round head. His color pattern is bbred. He's probably a mix tho so don't get your hopes up for a pure bred biddy....

Also the only thing that confuses me is the fact that his head isn't very broad...

Most of my gamefowl have quite broad heads ....

but he could be an old ball to tell ya the truth ....

thanks everyone!
i am going to take some more/better pics of both the cock and the hen so everyone can get a little closer look.
i really like this guy - he is just a super dude.
the hen is cute but fiesty! fearless, scares me a little!
i will arrange whatever accomadations are neccesary to keep everyone safe.
i do lot's of animal rescue so i'm really familiar with the idea that it's not the "breed" it's the "deed" (pit bull rescue platitude) so i'm not going to judge these two based on their breed. (yikes a "rescue," "arat" person and gamecock people actually "talking" who'd of thunk? it MUST be christmas!!! ha ha ha)
i have a pitbull who is blind and deaf and people are TERRIFIED of her which is hilarious because she is literally the most gentle animal i've ever had. words, titles, labels sure do scare people look at my response when i heard "gamecock"!)
anywhoo, thanks again everyone and i will post those pics very soon!
merry christmas
f. weeble

woa...is that the same bird as the one in your avatar???that things crown grew like...ALOT!!!
ep.gif

hi justino,
no the avatar pic is the hen. buuuuuut, rubio's crown wasn't too much bigger when i first got him. i'll post some before and after pics tomorrow so everyone can see how much it's grown. it's pretty amazing!
he was crowing his little heart out last night at about two AM - cute but i'm sure the neighbors were not so charmed. ha ha.
gots to go do christmas stuff now . . . must sign off byc forum . . . must . . . look . . . away . . .

I heard from a good source that if there are no Roosters around a hen will take on the role of head honcho and start to crow. I have a RIR that gets on her high horse and gives it a go. Since she is laying that rules out that shes a he.

lau.gif

Last edited:
Since I have had about 30 chickens in my whole lifetime 1 hen crowed and 1 pullet crowed. They dont sound as melodic as roosters though. But they put a lot into it. The hen would get up in the morning and just as she was going outside stand on the step and let loose. But it was only one syllable.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom