My hen has no wing and she is still ALIVE!!

Late last year one of dogs got out of his kennel that he had been in for three years. He was a pitt bull and he tried tearing into one of my tractors. I just happened to be out there when it happened. He got one of my chickens through the wire and ripped her wing off. I was screaming and hitting this dog as hard as I could. I was clearly no match for this dogs strenth. My neighbors and my SO finally heard me and showed up to help and the dog got hold of her other wing and he ripped this wing to shreads. There were seven other chickens in the tractor at the time. I am greatful that I was able to keep them from being attacked. I suffer from anorexia so this dog outweighed me. While the attack was going on I thought he had her by her head. Everything was going so fast.

Once my SO got the dog away from my chickens all I could do was sit on the ground and try and catch my breath. After a minute or so I saw my poor Sadie just sittting there. She was alive. I couldn't beleive it. I first treated her for shock. Once I realized she was going to make it past the shock I then took her to my vet {which doesn't treat chickens} When I went into the vets office I hid her inside my coat just to make it past the office manager to get to see the vet. I needed antibiotics and I needed them quickly. He put her on tetracycline but I wasn't able to talk him into removing the other wing. He did offer advice on how to tie the wing off. I will PM you the rest of this post.

Quote:
I know that everyone is allowed to have there own opinion but why is it that everytime someone is asking for HELP for there injured chicken YOU ALWAYS say to put the bird down, just like you did to me when Sadie was attacked.

Sorry but the rest of the story is very painful and I didn't know how long it would take me to finish it.{tears streaming down my face now} There are two threads about
Sadie. The first one was locked but the mods were kind enough to let me start another one. The first one is titled "Dog rips both her wings off" and the second one is titled " Sadie: wing is off." If you do a seach you can read about her story.

Sadie lived 64 days but died from contacting cocci. She was handled after we left the feed store whereas our other chickens were not. She was so brave, I wish I could be as brave as her in life. She died in my arms. She is missed and I will never forget her and her bravery. R.I.P SADIE

I had a silkie rooster that was attacked by a dog, we took him to the vet and they told us that he had broken bones in his leg and ripped tendons and muscles, also his skin was taken off one side. They said he would get an infection and die, or never walk again and told us that he should be put down. Well I took one look in my rooster's eyes decided that their prediction of doom was wrong. We took him back home, treated him with anti bacterial oils, kept him clean, wrapped his leg. And what do you know, he lived, he even started walking on his hurt leg again. Chickens are tough birds, before anyone should decide to put an animal down, they should take a look in their eyes to see if they want to die.

But it is true, not all are as fortunate as my rooster. He lived a happy life with a chick he adopted untill an unfortunate raccoon attack.

Last edited:
I hope she'll be okay! Our neighbor got some chickens from us and a raccoon got one of them...just its wing. That chicken is now our flock rooster. He is great, no problems at all, just looks a little funny when he flaps his wing.
wink.png

Quote:
As painful as the subject is I still felt like I needed to try and help. I have PMed Diane{dhlunicorn} and filled her in on whats going on so hopefully she will chime in soon. There is a huge time difference. I think Diane is from the UK. She helped me so much so I'm hoping she can help with this girl. If Sadie hadn't contacted cocci she would still be with me. She was the bravest girl. I will never forget her.

Back
Top Bottom