My Hen is Crowing??? Need help!!

Soleil_A

Songster
Oct 24, 2017
White lake, Michigan. (Or detroit)
Hi all!! Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!!

So I have a small coop of 4. An ISA brown hen, RHW hen, and 2 bantams. One a english bantam and one a seabright. Only my RHW and English one are laying and the seabright is occasionally laying. In the morning, my mom claims she hears a rooster, but of course i told her there’s no way, all my chickens are hens, they all have layed and egg. but then this morning, i swore i heard one too, and my seabright was making the noise. it sounds EXACTLY like a rooster crow. you see the problem is... chickens aren’t allowed in my neighborhood, but with eggs used as encouragement, they can stay if they aren’t loud. My girls free range all day, and are very very happy. Is there any reason to why my Seabright would start doing this? Is there any way to make her stop? This morning was the first time I heard, so I threw them some scraps to get the Seabright to stop, which worked, but I won’t be able to do this every morning.

Some hens will start to crow if there is no rooster - she is likely the 'top hen' in the pecking order.
They aren't usually as noisy as the boys and do not crow frequently.
She may stop after the spring mating season, but there is no guarantee... how loud is she??

Ypu can try blocking the early morning light to lessen crowing - some folks have had success, but chickens run on an 'internal clock' so it may not work...
Does she crow all day long or just the morning?

Back
Top Bottom