My Hen is Walking Backwards

I have a 3 year old RIR that began walking backwards a couple of weeks ago. She is at the end of a heavy molt during which she experienced an impacted crop, weight loss, increased thirst, and loose droppings. She has these same symptoms every fall when she molts, along with an exaggerated gait occasionally throughout the day, where she lifts her feet really high as she walks. This year after taking several exaggerated steps forward, she will put her head down and walk backwards for 8-10 steps. Most of the time she walks and runs about normally, but several times each day, mostly in the morning, she walks in this bizarre manner. I switched my flock from layer to grower food several weeks ago when they started molting, and add poultry Nutri-Drench to their water a couple of times a week while they are molting. She is re-growing her feathers nicely and putting on weight and is really looking much better, but the backward walking is scary to watch. I don't know about a vitamin deficiency. Generally I think my girls eat well, but I have no other ideas what might cause this. It's comforting, though, to know I'm not the only one to see this bizarre behavior. I wish I had some advice for you!

Hmm! Glad to hear some one else is experiencing this. It's a little weird, but if it's not life threatening it would be awesome! I need to go get more chicken food so maybe I'll up the protein since 4 of my 6 hens are molting anyway. I'll post about what happens.
smile.png

I have a light Sussex bantam that used to do this, haven't seen her do it in a long time but didn't think it was vitamin related, it looked as if she was agitated by something and just walked backwards to rid herself of it, none of my other chickens did it and she free ranged and was fed a good complete diet, not ruling out vitamin deficiency but just think it is odd that she did it every now and then and otherwise was completely fine laying etc and eating a good diet , does anyone know know what particular vitamin would lead to this? she's just turned 3 and is fine now, no doubt I'll see her do it again after posting this! lol.

So my Americana has stopped or almost stopped walking backwards. I haven't seen her do it in several days and when it did happen last week it was short lived, not at all as bad as the video. I think some of it has to do with her now being done with the molt and laying again. A lot of the feathers she lost were around her head. Maybe it was really uncomfortable?

So initially I gave her some Vitamin E oil morning and night for about 5 days. Admittedly I got tired of bringing her inside and squeezing the oil in her mouth so that's why that only lasted 5 days. Also for about a week or so I gave all the hens electrolytes in the water. We then had a huge snow storm - 14 inches in 24 hours so their space was basically reduced to the run only for a couple days. Even now their outdoor space is limited to where I put down straw on the snow. This seemed to really help her because she would run into the sides of the run and that would stop her and then she could go forward again. Possibly able to get to food easier.

I have a chicken doing the same thing. Her head looks a little swollen but there is no mucus or drainage from eyes. She can/does walk normal and then out of no where, she bends her head down as if she is gong to eat something and then takes like 5-7 steps backwards. She is a young layer. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Try looking in her ears to see if something may be lodged inside causing discomfort. Just gently flick the ear flaps back and see if the tiny hole is clear. You might try dropping a bit of mineral oil in them in case it's just a matter of itches.

This is such an ancient thread. Why didn't you just start your own?

I have a 4 month old EE pullet that does this same 'moonwalk'. She looks like she is walking into some imaginary object and then backs up and then goes forward. She seem normal for everything else. She holds herself normally. She is free range and gets healthy veggie fruit treats. Just weird!

I have a 4 month old EE pullet that does this same 'moonwalk'. She looks like she is walking into some imaginary object and then backs up and then goes forward. She seem normal for everything else. She holds herself normally. She is free range and gets healthy veggie fruit treats. Just weird!
You might try giving her Nutridrench. I also have a pullet who does this, usually just in the morning, and only for a few seconds. Had a chick who had what is called wry neck, with the backwards walking. I brought him back from comatose to acting normal with electrolytes, probiotics, nutridrench, vitamin E, and selenium. Also hand fed him with a parrot hand feeding formula, However, he evidently suffered some internal damage, had congestive heart failure, or some lung problem, severe scoliosis, and just didn't develop well. I think that when it starts with an older bird, it may just be a neurologic issue, like a seizure disorder or a "tic". As long as she's eating well, and it doesn't affect her function, I'd just let her be. If she gets to the point that she's not able to do usual chicken things, it may be time to cull. I would definitely keep her out of the "gene pool."

It is vitamin problem. I have had alot of silkie chicks do this. I give them pediatric liquid vitamins without iron right in the beak. It will usually stop within a week and never comes back :)

I have a white leghorn that has just started doing it this week. And I went out to put the other chickens away and the rooster over there is doing it! There is always something with these chickens. I too feed premium feed so it is hard to believe it is a nutritional deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom