My hen thinks she is a rooster

Janice Fields

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 2, 2017
I have 12 hens, no rooster. I have had roosters in the past and every one of them were meaner than a junk yard dog so I gave up keeping a rooster with my hens.
I hand raise my chicks, spend lot of time with them, sing John Denver songs to them, and so far we have been getting along splendidly.
This latest flock of 12 Isa Browns are 18 months old and generally very sweet and gentle natured.
BUT, one of them has become aggressive toward me when I am in the coop or run with them. She gets behind me and pecks me on the legs. Acting more like a rooster lately. Running at me with wings out to side and all puffed up.
I need advice on how to stop this behavior. I am the Boss of my flock and she has got to learn that. My brother says best way to stop that behavior is to fix fresh chicken and dumplings for supper. That aint happening with a hen of mine.
I thought about isolating her in the coop while others are out in the big run, kinda like a chicken time out. Or maybe I could spend more time with her, holding and giving her special attention but don't want to reward her for bad behavior.
Any advice, other than the ax to the neck, is greatly appreciated.

I'm actually surprised you only have 1 that's not so nice. Isa Brown to me = same attitude as RIR's. So it must be your careful process to make them nice and I'm going credit John Denver songs for sure! So with the one meanie, I've had 2 - Crazy and Weirdo. I would "peck," Crazy when she came at me. Either a shark poke with my finger or a stick. Eventually she just got scared of me and would run away anytime I came around but it was totally necessary and the only reason she didn't move on the chicken heaven like Weirdo did......

I have never had an ISA brown hen be aggressive towards me, only to other chickens

Sometimes, in the absence of a rooster, a hen (usually the higher ones in the pecking order) fills that role, by crowing, growing in spurrs, and sometimes even growing more rooster-like feathers, but thats not what your hen seems to be doing

If you see her coming at you, stand your ground and maybe stomp your feet a couple of times, I don't think it would take something more for her to stop

My guess is that she has decided you are a part of the pecking order, and she is above you. I would bring out a racquet or large stick and push her away from you when she attacks, and just let her know she is not going to get away with it. The idea is to show your dominance, not to hurt her.

BUT, one of them has become aggressive toward me when I am in the coop or run with them. She gets behind me and pecks me on the legs. Acting more like a rooster lately. Running at me with wings out to side and all puffed up.
Maybe she's fed up with the John Denver songs?? ;)

Seriously though.. has she gone broody?

I'm actually surprised you only have 1 that's not so nice. Isa Brown to me = same attitude as RIR's. So it must be your careful process to make them nice and I'm going credit John Denver songs for sure! So with the one meanie, I've had 2 - Crazy and Weirdo. I would "peck," Crazy when she came at me. Either a shark poke with my finger or a stick. Eventually she just got scared of me and would run away anytime I came around but it was totally necessary and the only reason she didn't move on the chicken heaven like Weirdo did......

Thanks. I've never heard of pecking before. Will do

I have never had an ISA brown hen be aggressive towards me, only to other chickens

Sometimes, in the absence of a rooster, a hen (usually the higher ones in the pecking order) fills that role, by crowing, growing in spurrs, and sometimes even growing more rooster-like feathers, but thats not what your hen seems to be doing

If you see her coming at you, stand your ground and maybe stomp your feet a couple of times, I don't think it would take something more for her to stop
Thanks.

Ah totally slipped my mind since she's an ISA brown, but it's possible!
Actually I just noticed that she is starting to molt. Hopefully it is just stress caused by molting. And hopefully it won't be a hard molt. I have been giving them extra protein in form of mealworms and BOSS.

Back
Top Bottom