My Jumbo quail roo is injured on his backside, kind of to his left.

DvorahChanah

Chirping
Jun 8, 2023
I fed them all this morning and now just checked this afternoon and found him bloody. Any ideas as to why? I also need suggestions on treatment? I separated him into his own cage, and brought him inside. Should I bath his tail end in warm, soapy water? He's alone now and is slowly cleaning off the blood so maybe I'll let him take care of that and later treat with antibiotics and/or gentian violet??

I plan on keeping him separate until his injury heals completely, then moving all the quail out of their aviary for a few hours. That evening, my plan is to put them all back. (I need to do some upgrades and rearranging anyway and yet do not like disturbing my quail unnecessarily so combining re-introducing this roo and upgrades works out.)

Possible causes to my mind anyway, but I'm only a few weeks into quails.

1. This roo slightly younger and smaller than one of the other roos.
2. I have 8 feeding ports to 20 quail. They also scratch around in their bedding for feed they've spilled but perhaps I need to bring that up to 20??
3. Too much space? I watched MyShire Farms today. He said too much space can be as much a problem as too little.

My aviary is 6 s.m. which works out to 64+ sq.f. I have 20 quail, which is 3 sq.f (+) per bird. I've read in other places that Jumbos need 3.5 sq.f. per bird. I'm not raising my quails in a CAFO system like MyShire is doing....so does that account for the difference? Are the space requirements per bird different with aviaries? Is there more or less flexiblity that with CAFOs?

Last question: Is there a relationship between aggressive behavior in roos and how much they crow? If it's one oldest roo, he's surprisingly large. He crows a lot, especially in the early morning hours. This injured roo is too young to crow yet.

I know zero about quail specifically, you might edit your title to indicate you are talking about quail rather than chickens, you might get more knowledgeable answers.
But I do know that space is an issue, just like with chickens, so that may be your issue. Any kind of stress can set them off. This link may be helpful: https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/bobwhite-quail-production-3

I know zero about quail specifically, you might edit your title to indicate you are talking about quail rather than chickens, you might get more knowledgeable answers.
But I do know that space is an issue, just like with chickens, so that may be your issue. Any kind of stress can set them off. This link may be helpful: https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/bobwhite-quail-production-3
The interesting thing MyShire Farms said was too much space can be an issue as well. Wondering if it's the same in an aviary set up as in a CAFO set-up. My quail have 3sq.ft per bird. So, they can escape from one another. I'm wondering, just going by the location of the injury, I need more feeding ports.

Last edited:
I'm not quite so sure too much space is an issue.

How many males are in this area?

Can you take a picture of the area?

Crowing often can be a sign of unhappiness for one reason or another.

I usually keep 3 or 4 sets/cages of quail at any given time with one male per set or cage and my males never crow.

According to MyShire Farms, my 2X6 meter aviary should have 224 quail! That seems unrealistic, unenjoyable for the quail, annoying for the neighbors, and unmanageable for me. I'd be paying a fortune in feed and get way too many eggs per day. Something is not right. I've read in other places...wish I could remember where, Jumbo need 3.5 sq. per bird.
I'm not quite so sure too much space is an issue.

How many males are in this area?

Can you take a picture of the area?
I have 20 quail. 17 are female, 3 are male. Not the perfect 5:1 ratio, but the roos each have plenty of females. I went with a few more in case some died. I thought more hens to roos would be better than the other way around. Quail are not available where I live year round. I'm not planning on hatching this year. Learning to take care of these 20 is enough for me now. I will take a photo tomorrow, since it's night time here.

Could it be that I started feeding them meal worms?? I feed them 1 tablespoon per quail each day. I also remember reading somewhere that too much protein can make the males more aggressive. I was wondering if I should cut that back to only a couple times a week. There is no proper quail feed here, only chicken feed, so I was wanting to bring up the protein level. Has anyone else noticed more aggression in the males when they feed their quails mealworms?

This roo that's injured is considerably smaller than the roo I THINK may have attacked him too. I really like the other roo....he's perky, and has figured out I'm the lady who brings good things. He runs up to me when I come into the aviary. I need to keep an eye on him. though. I really do not know who attacked this younger roo....I didn't see the culprit.

According to MyShire Farms, my 2X6 meter aviary should have 224 quail! That seems unrealistic, unenjoyable for the quail, annoying for the neighbors, and unmanageable for me. I'd be paying a fortune in feed and get way too many eggs per day. Something is not right. I've read in other places...wish I could remember where, Jumbo need 3.5 sq. per bird.

I have 20 quail. 17 are female, 3 are male. Not the perfect 5:1 ratio, but the roos each have plenty of females. I went with a few more in case some died. I thought more hens to roos would be better than the other way around. Quail are not available where I live year round. I'm not planning on hatching this year. Learning to take care of these 20 is enough for me now. I will take a photo tomorrow, since it's night time here.

Could it be that I started feeding them meal worms?? I feed them 1 tablespoon per quail each day. I also remember reading somewhere that too much protein can make the males more aggressive. I was wondering if I should cut that back to only a couple times a week. There is no proper quail feed here, only chicken feed, so I was wanting to bring up the protein level. Has anyone else noticed more aggression in the males when they feed their quails mealworms?

This roo that's injured is considerably smaller than the roo I THINK may have attacked him too. I really like the other roo....he's perky, and has figured out I'm the lady who brings good things. He runs up to me when I come into the aviary. I need to keep an eye on him. though. I really do not know who attacked this younger roo....I didn't see the culprit.
OH MY GOODNESS...That is way too much mealworms per each quail.
Please don't feed each bird that much.

I am not sure how old your quail are but I can assure you that my quail are happy and healthy.

I feed my quail 28% protein gamebird starter crumble until they are about 5 weeks old and then I switch them over to 16% layer crumble.
I do not feed any treats.

Back
Top Bottom