my khaki is laying in her baby pool

khaki

Hatching
Oct 14, 2017
My khaki is around 25 week, she just started laying this week. She lays the eggs all over, not one has been in the same spot except two in her baby pool. Is this okay and if she lays them in the pool are they safe to eat?

What time are you letting her out of her coop/pen area? If you are getting the egg out of the water the day that it is laid, then there won't be anything wrong in eating it....just be sure to refridgerate it when ya take them in. This is because the protective wash on the egg shell would've been removed while in the water...we have eaten them out of the pool and have had no issues from it. Also, ducks tend to lay their eggs between 5-8am...depending on the sun and clock being in sync....if ya leave her in the coop/pen area until about 8:30 ya will probably find it in the pen....:)

Well, I only have 2 ducks. I let them run around my back yard so I guess they really don't have a coup. Maybe I should cover the baby pool at night?

It really depends, if ya want to hunt for the eggs each day, then cover the pool or empty it....if ya want to have them in the same spot each day just let them be....at least ya will know where to look....:)

They like privacy, so if you have some kind of dog box, or some place else "tempting" for her to lay, she'll get the idea. I took some scrap lumber and hacked together a small shelter looking thing (sides, a back, and a top - no front or bottom) Put some pine shavings in it. They didn't use it all the time, but they do more often than not.

I do live up north, that's why I'm confused she even started to lay eggs. I have a big doghouse for her, she only laid her first egg in there. It seems she just lays them where ever. And thank you everybody for your help. I'm a duck owner amateur. But we love our two ducks!

Khakis are not seasonal layers and will lay thru the winter. Ours started laying at 17-18wks and haven't slowed down much at all. We had 1 to go broody right at a yr old, some days for molting...but other than that they keep on laying....:)

I am a new duck owner. I have 6 rouen ducks and 2 khakis. The female khaki is starting to lay eggs. She lays them in random spots around the coop. And we just found 3 eggs in their big pool while we were cleaning it. What do we do with the ones we find in the pool? Don't know how long they have been there. Not sure if I want to eat those ones.

Back
Top Bottom