My little hen is eggbound, but I can't "access" the egg"

Crimson Rambler

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
My Lavender Ameriquana (sp?) has been eggbound for a while now. I know that sounds improbable, but it's the truth. Yesterday she was in such distress, I took her into the bathroom, found some lube, and you know the rest... *shudder*

The problem is, that while I can totally feel the egg from inside and out, I can not find the egg. Inside her, there seems to be a membrane of skin covering the egg at every point, so I can't touch the bare egg, or help to guide it out. I was wondering if it's possible that somehow the skin has grown around it all the way? Is this something that can happen? Locking the egg from it's "exit" hole/area? I cracked it on accident. It has a very hard shell, and didn't break, but I know that this is probably the beginning of the end for poor Roxy. I'm afraid of damaging her insides. Afraid of breaking the egg further... I'm thinking about going in one last time after studying the reproductive system again, but I swear, I think there is skin enclosing the egg entirely.

Has anybody had experience with this weird situation?

Also, when she first started laying, it went fine. She had one full "set" of eggs, then nothing for months. I feel like she's been eggbound all this time, but I've read that a hen will die pretty quickly from this, so the whole thing is strange. I'm really wondering how this egg can stay hidden inside her...

If a vet is at all possible, I would get her in there. Most links I have read say that they don't normally live past a couple of days being egg bound. I would suggest you place her in warm water up to the bottom of her wings, get the rubber glove and lubricant out, and try to massage her belly to get her to pass it. Before you start, give her a Tums, a calcium tablet, crushed egg shells, or liquid calcium if you have it since lack of calcium can cause egg binding.
http://beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Anatomy-of-the-chicken-with-text.jpg
chicken-reproductive-system.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom