Pics
So, yesterday was a busy, busy day for me, but I did have time to fit in the Duckies’ First Water Adventure! They truly are water fowl!

In the beginning they were so excited when I put them into the warm water. A couple of them were quick to leave me little presents, nuggets if you wish, in the water. Thank the lord I’ve already been looking into ways to make a heavy, heavy duty pond filter. Any advice is appreciated, as always. If there’s one thing I know, BYCers are full of it! Advice, that is! :D

(Please pardon my DH getting onto the dog as she was venturing a little too close to the action.)

After about 7 minutes of play and a lot of water-laden down, they were tired and beginning to express it. After all, they are just babes!

They're so. stinkin. cute. :th:love

Alrighty! I need clarification of duckie word definitions please.

I have noticed several behaviors that ducks do that are specific to them. (I’m just comparing them to chickens since that’s all I know about. Other water fowl may act the same, I’m sure they do, just didn’t want anyone to think I meant ‘ducks only’ in my last statement.)

Dabbler/Dabbling

Noodle/Noodling

There’s another word that I thought about, but my CRS just kicked in!:barnie

Why do ducks tend to be like tiny vibrators? What is it exactly that they’re doing? They are constantly making something ‘chatter,’ whether it be the waterer, or the bottom of the pool brooder when they are searching for grit or whatever underneath the shavings. They also like to vibrate their beaks in between my fingers and such. Maybe that is called ‘noodling.’

I’m just curious about their behavior, first and foremost, and also need to learn the correct terminology so I don’t sound like a complete dumba$$ when talking all things “DUCK.”:wee:lau

Any vocabulary help is appreciated, as is everything else I need to know about ducks that might not be printed in a book or online article.

Case in point! I never knew ducks were poop shooters! These turds on the wall are what I woke up to this morning. :lau
View attachment 2077610
Love it! :lau Here's what I can think of at the moment:
Zoomies: racing around in the water (or land) with sudden spurts of energy
"Yelling"/Quack of Distress: When they want to be let out to free range and they see me nearby. A very loud quack - also their distress signal.
Contented noises: sounds like "brrr, brrr" in quack form - usually muffled because they do it with their noses in the grass.
The power waddle - all I can think of to call this - when they charge out of their pen across the mud and their webs slap the mud - I laugh every time I hear it
Conversations: any time something distressing happens, like a member is separated for a minute, or a scary raven flies overhead, they convene to discuss the matter

I think the vibrating is trying to pick up stuff in the water and sift things through their bills, but they also just like to play in it. They also try to drill into the ground by shaking their heads and "chattering"

They're so. stinkin. cute. :th:love

Love it! :lau Here's what I can think of at the moment:
Zoomies: racing around in the water (or land) with sudden spurts of energy
"Yelling"/Quack of Distress: When they want to be let out to free range and they see me nearby. A very loud quack - also their distress signal.
Contented noises: sounds like "brrr, brrr" in quack form - usually muffled because they do it with their noses in the grass.
The power waddle - all I can think of to call this - when they charge out of their pen across the mud and their webs slap the mud - I laugh every time I hear it
Conversations: any time something distressing happens, like a member is separated for a minute, or a scary raven flies overhead, they convene to discuss the matter

I think the vibrating is trying to pick up stuff in the water and sift things through their bills, but they also just like to play in it. They also try to drill into the ground by shaking their heads and "chattering"
Thank you for this. It’s so exciting to read.

Alrighty! I need clarification of duckie word definitions please.

I have noticed several behaviors that ducks do that are specific to them. (I’m just comparing them to chickens since that’s all I know about. Other water fowl may act the same, I’m sure they do, just didn’t want anyone to think I meant ‘ducks only’ in my last statement.)

Dabbler/Dabbling

Noodle/Noodling

There’s another word that I thought about, but my CRS just kicked in!:barnie

Why do ducks tend to be like tiny vibrators? What is it exactly that they’re doing? They are constantly making something ‘chatter,’ whether it be the waterer, or the bottom of the pool brooder when they are searching for grit or whatever underneath the shavings. They also like to vibrate their beaks in between my fingers and such. Maybe that is called ‘noodling.’

I’m just curious about their behavior, first and foremost, and also need to learn the correct terminology so I don’t sound like a complete dumba$$ when talking all things “DUCK.”:wee:lau

Any vocabulary help is appreciated, as is everything else I need to know about ducks that might not be printed in a book or online article.

Case in point! I never knew ducks were poop shooters! These turds on the wall are what I woke up to this morning. :lau
View attachment 2077610
From what i have observed, a duck-flock holds much more together than a chicken flock - but i have not much experience with chickens… And you will become a part of the flock too, a very respected member, having control over food, water and treats!
All that chatter and squeaking going on in a duck flock makes sure that everybody is accounted for and they all get the latest news. One duck finds some good eating, the whole flock is alerted and moves in…
Those vibrations are a sign of excitement, many of my ducks vibrate when they see my hand reaching out for the cat-food and before they grab it out of my hand.
Ducks also understand that vibration with the right frequency makes mud softer and allows them to drill holes. Some of my drakes also "tap-dance" on the mud to soften it up for the girls, it looks hilarious!

Some other examples of duck behavior fro my flock:

I picked up our first six ducklings at the local farm store and they immediately huddled together in the far away corner of the box i was transporting them in, always looking at this huge "thing" that was taking them with it. The moment we left the store all six looked up to the sky in awe - they obviously had never seen the sky before - fell on their backs and forgot to get up again, were just watching at that big blue thing over their heads. Still as grown up's the runners sometimes stand still in the grass, just watching the big blue sky, day-dreaming.

In December 2018 i fell through a rotten floor outside and broke my left ankle. The ducks were outside, foraging and heart the crack and the thud of the impact and came running to their duck-platform curiously looking what had happened. When they saw me lying on the ground they all started quacking/rasping in panic, watching me crawling up the hill and along the fence back to the house. Whenever i stopped crawling and rested their quacking became louder as if to encourage me not to give up…
Since then, the duckies always have an eye on me when i'm working outside: There's always at least one duck observing what i do - i mean, there is always a chance that i have to dig a hole or a trench, exposing some underground critters…

Ducks don't fight much within the flock, chickens definitely behave more aggressive with each other and to any thread from the outside they stand together, drakes in the first line. There was an opossum around the house a couple of days ago in the evening and all ducks stood very close together, forming a large, noisy, intimidating mass of bodies. The drakes plushed up their feathers to make them look twice their size. They literally herded that poor, confused 'possum out of the open gate and were watching carefully as it strolled into the brush.

Ducks do grieve and miss a lost flock member: For days after Donald, my larger drake disappeared without a trace in the spring of 2018, Curiosity and Nona duck were running around, searching for him, refusing to eat. And i will never forget the sad view in the face of little Mini Duck after i had to bury her little brother recently. Fortunately they get over it!

A new development in my flock from this year: Either Limpy, Katharina or Curiosity Duck (my Indian Runners) make sure at bed-time that nobody is left behind by refusing to go inside if anybody is still outside. On evening Limpy was forgotten in the duck-pool and i closed the door of the duck-house for the night, was just about to go to bed when i heard him rasping outside and running around alone. I don't know if he was actually hiding or just fell asleep and i didn't saw him (the pool is up the hill and if he sits right behind the rim he isn't visible). But since then the ducks too pay more attention at bedtime, making sure everybody is inside.

Last summer, when Katharina Duck had her ducklings, i was first very concerned the other's would attack the ducklings, but no: Apart from the occasional butt-kick during treats-stampede they all cared and looked after the little ones and they became an important part of the flock.

Integrating new ducks to a flock is much easier than with chickens: One to two weeks of "see but no touch" separation and you can let the newbies loose. There will be some rubbing, but not as brutal and bloody as with other fowl.

If the rate of duck to drake is ok (3 ducks per drake, at least) you can have multiple drakes in your flock, i'm not sure if you could have multiple roosters. (?) - I guess those would divide the flock between them, whereas my drakes peacefully sit right next to each other.

Ducks can learn tricks: Two of the White Layers, Bazilla and Earthquack literally laugh when i approach them, making an eating movement with my hand, saying "Num! Num! Yummy duck!" - they open their bills wide without quacking pull their heads down and squeak, pretending to flee from me only to turn around and then quacker at me. - And sometimes vibrate…

Long answer, hmm? If you observe your duckies and bond with them, you will also find out that no duck is like another, they all have different personalities, preferences and behaviours.

Last edited:
From what i have observed, a duck-flock holds much more together than a chicken flock - but i have not much experience with chickens… And you will become a part of the flock too, a very respected member, having control over food, water and treats!
All that chatter and squeaking going on in a duck flock makes sure that everybody is accounted for and they all get the latest news. One duck finds some good eating, the whole flock is alerted and moves in…
Those vibrations are a sign of excitement, many of my ducks vibrate when they see my hand reaching out for the cat-food and before they grab it out of my hand.
Ducks also understand that vibration with the right frequency makes mud softer and allows them to drill holes. Some of my drakes also "tap-dance" on the mud to soften it up for the girls, it looks hilarious!

Some other examples of duck behavior fro my flock:

I picked up our first six ducklings at the local farm store and they immediately huddled together in the far away corner of the box i was transporting them in, always looking at this huge "thing" that was taking them with it. The moment we left the store all six looked up to the sky in awe - they obviously had never seen the sky before - fell on their backs and forgot to get up again, were just watching at that big blue thing over their heads. Still as grown up's the runners sometimes stand still in the grass, just watching the big blue sky, day-dreaming.

In December 2018 i fell through a rotten floor outside and broke my left ankle. The ducks were outside, foraging and heart the crack and the thud of the impact and came running to their duck-platform curiously looking what had happened. When they saw me lying on the ground they all started quacking/rasping in panic, watching me crawling up the hill and along the fence back to the house. Whenever i stopped crawling and rested their quacking became louder as if to encourage me not to give up…
Since then, the duckies always have an eye on me when i'm working outside: There's always at least one duck observing what i do - i mean, there is always a chance that i have to dig a hole or a trench, exposing some underground critters…

Ducks don't fight much within the flock, chickens definitely behave more aggressive with each other and to any thread from the outside they stand together, drakes in the first line. There was an opossum around the house a couple of days ago in the evening and all ducks stood very close together, forming a large, noisy, intimidating mass of bodies. The drakes plushed up their feathers to make them look twice their size. They literally herded that poor, confused 'possum out of the open gate and were watching carefully as it strolled into the brush.

Ducks do grieve and miss a lost flock member: For days after Donald, my larger drake disappeared without a trace in the spring of 2018, Curiosity and Nona duck were running around, searching for him, refusing to eat. And i will never forget the sad view in the face of little Mini Duck after i had to bury her little brother recently. Fortunately they get over it!

A new development in my flock from this year: Either Limpy, Katharina or Curiosity Duck (my Indian Runners) make sure at bed-time that nobody is left behind by refusing to go inside if anybody is still outside. On evening Limpy was forgotten in the duck-pool and i closed the door of the duck-house for the night, was just about to go to bed when i heard him rasping outside and running around alone. I don't know if he was actually hiding or just fell asleep and i didn't saw him (the pool is up the hill and if he sits right behind the rim he isn't visible). But since then the ducks too pay more attention at bedtime, making sure everybody is inside.

Last summer, when Katharina Duck had her ducklings, i was first very concerned the other's would attack the ducklings, but no: Apart from the occasional butt-kick during treats-stampede they all cared and looked after the little ones and they became an important part of the flock.

Integrating new ducks to a flock is much easier than with chickens: One to two weeks of "see but no touch" separation and you can let the newbies loose. There will be some rubbing, but not as brutal and bloody as with other fowl.

If the rate of duck to drake is ok (3 ducks per drake, at least) you can have multiple drakes in your flock, i'm not sure if you could have multiple roosters. (?) - I guess those would divide the flock between them, whereas my drakes peacefully sit right next to each other.

Ducks can learn tricks: Two of the White Layers, Bazilla and Earthquack literally laugh when i approach them, making an eating movement with my hand, saying "Num! Num! Yummy duck!" - they open their bills wide without quacking pull their heads down and squeak, pretending to flee from me only to turn around and then quacker at me. - And sometimes vibrate…

Long answer, hmm? If you observe your duckies and bond with them, you will also find out that no duck is like another, they all have different personalities, preferences and behaviours.
Thank you so much for all this. It is absolutely entertaining to read as well as informative.

Slowly but surely the little things are coming around, except for the Buff Orp. She still just does her own thing.

Thank you so much for all this. It is absolutely entertaining to read as well as informative.

Slowly but surely the little things are coming around, except for the Buff Orp. She still just does her own thing.
My Buff-Orpies are the most shy ducks i have! I can't get closer to them than 2-3 steps and they won't take treats out of my hands. Super shy, but also super funny.

My Buff-Orpies are the most shy ducks i have! I can't get closer to them than 2-3 steps and they won't take treats out of my hands. Super shy, but also super funny.
What about that. I simply got it with the hopes of it being like my BO chickens. Luckily the other four don’t mind interaction and even initiate it.

Hopefully yesterday was my last busy ‘mask-making’ day. Today is duckie day. It is supposed to begin raining today for a couple of days, so I have a good reason to sit and play with them. Oh, and learn a lot more of their ways/habits/funny antics.

Another question I had early on, but thought I’d just wait and find out myself, I learned this morning. (I have always had a tendency to ask/say things without thinking how it may affect others: it may be politically incorrect, sexual in nature, gory or gross in detail, etc. In my defense, most things just pop out of my mouth, mostly out of curiosity.) This one isn’t that bad though. But I learned that where they lay, they poop. It’s also strange that they do not have a ‘go-to’ place to sleep. During the day and at night, they pick different spots around the brooder. They never sleep under the heat plate anymore, but they do sleep on it.
DA9EC72B-EAB5-45C0-840E-742E16B3B4E4.jpeg
D9E17644-F753-4276-847B-A959C006AE47.jpeg

I was worried that the uneven surface of the top of the heat plate would be a deterrent for them, but nope, they still pile up on it.
FE5B8238-D418-4E85-A5D8-0EA1755B8338.jpeg

One thing that makes me happy is that Sadie, my jaunty eared GP/GS mix, has found the closest spot to them and lays outside the door. I even noticed last night that she was outside the door looking in when I closed the curtains for the night. It won’t be long and she’ll be piled up with them, if they’ll let her. A few of my chickens will lay down pretty close to her, but they don’t shoot poop on her! 😂 We will see. All I know is that poor little starving pup, that I did not want (already had six dogs, five inside) quickly made her way into our hearts and has been a god-send. Luckily, our neighbors aren’t close because she patrols the fence lines and barks all.night.long! Nonetheless, I’m thankful she picked us. She’s a big old girl and fills a big old spot in our hearts.
4CB345AB-F4EF-4477-9BEC-0CF8AAC8BB99.jpeg
718881ED-A719-463D-A419-EF2F2A4834F0.jpeg

A little secret @WannaBeHillBilly clued me in on is, ‘yes, ducks do poop straight out behind them.’ I have proof. Later today I will be wiping down the side walls of the pool/brooder cause it is nays-tee! (That’s southern for d@mn filthy!) I guess I’m shocked that they don’t poop on each other. They may and I just not notice it.
34E5E8B1-390A-4602-A4F7-EF0E0B0A887D.jpeg

Here is one last picture I will sign off with...this is Peaches, my Buff Orpington, showing a little leg! :lau
F78468A2-ADB3-47BF-BEE2-4752239E7986.jpeg

Thanks for all y’all’s helpful tips, advice, sympathy, etc.

This Mimi, aka Crazy Old Chicken and Duck Coot, certainly appreciates it ALL!

Back
Top Bottom