Pics
I probably know the answer to this, I’m just curious since I’m new to ducks.

Their poop is a bit different than it has been. The majority of it seems to be very dark green and runnier than usual. What I mean by runnier is it is NOT a formed poop inside a lot of water. It is a thicker, but runny, dark green poop, meaning the consistency is all poop (a solid green in color) just poop mixes thoroughly with the water content.

They have been outside in the grass for the past 5 days for anywhere from 3-5 hours. I hope that’s not a no-no on my part. :oops: I figured the consistency and color had changed because of the access to grass. Please, please, I hope so.

Also, I stopped putting the B Complex in their water after the first week since I was under the impression I was only doing that for travel stresses. As of now they are getting no supplements, in water or food.

Their poop is a bit different than it has been. The majority of it seems to be very dark green and runnier than usual. What I mean by runnier is it is NOT a formed poop inside a lot of water. It is a thicker, but runny, dark green poop, meaning the consistency is all poop (a solid green in color) just poop mixes thoroughly with the water content.

They have been outside in the grass for the past 5 days for anywhere from 3-5 hours. I hope that’s not a no-no on my part. :oops: I figured the consistency and color had changed because of the access to grass. Please, please, I hope so.

Also, I stopped putting the B Complex in their water after the first week since I was under the impression I was only doing that for travel stresses. As of now they are getting no supplements, in water or food.

Their poop will change colors quickly, depending on what they are eating. It will also change from lots of water to more formed it just depends on what they are eating and what they decide to drink with it. If you ever decide to feed tomatoes you will see some interesting poops.

Your in a warm area so long as it isn't really windy or anything I think letting them hang outside is fine. The sun, bugs, and things they noodle at in the grasses are actually really good for them.

If your not seeing any shaking legs you should be ok not doing the b complex though some people will make a mesh with it once a week until 6 weeks. (i happen to be one of those people). If there is no problems going on. Its kinda like taking a daily vitamin, just that once of prevention. But you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I do b complex for the first few weeks with mine then i go to a few times a week until six weeks.

As long as everyone seems happy and healthy i think your doing the right thing.

Their poop will change colors quickly, depending on what they are eating. It will also change from lots of water to more formed it just depends on what they are eating and what they decide to drink with it. If you ever decide to feed tomatoes you will see some interesting poops.

Your in a warm area so long as it isn't really windy or anything I think letting them hang outside is fine. The sun, bugs, and things they noodle at in the grasses are actually really good for them.

If your not seeing any shaking legs you should be ok not doing the b complex though some people will make a mesh with it once a week until 6 weeks. (i happen to be one of those people). If there is no problems going on. Its kinda like taking a daily vitamin, just that once of prevention. But you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I do b complex for the first few weeks with mine then i go to a few times a week until six weeks.

As long as everyone seems happy and healthy i think your doing the right thing.
Thank you very much. They all seem healthy and happy (I guess) so I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, but I might start giving them some B Complex again. I do want them to be as healthy as possible.

Tomatoes, huh? I may just wait on those then!:eek:

I love watching the feather patterns as they emerge. They are different than the chickens.

Also, their poops are unmistakable in a quiet room. :lau Just a good old juicy fart in their sleep.

Thank you very much. They all seem healthy and happy (I guess) so I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, but I might start giving them some B Complex again. I do want them to be as healthy as possible.

Tomatoes, huh? I may just wait on those then!:eek:

I love watching the feather patterns as they emerge. They are different than the chickens.

Also, their poops are unmistakable in a quiet room. :lau Just a good old juicy fart in their sleep.
I would do the tomato outside. I usually cut up cherry tomatoes for mine around this age. But we have been so cold I can’t take them outside for it. My ones last year loved da dandelions too cut up for them. Their poop turned a little yellow because they ate the flowe and all.

Last night was the first time I’ve seen them LAY down when eating. It has always been, get a bite of food, go get a drink of water, over and over. No time for laying down.
3AD503DD-7DB6-4F8A-A84B-2D8217014063.jpeg

I would keep them on a Niacin supplement still, they are at the fast-growing stage so sometimes even a feed designed for ducks doesn't have enough Niacin especially for heavyweight breeds who grow very fast, I would add either Nutritional yeast to their feed or add B complex over their feed, instead of water since Ducks really only drink 1/3 of the water, the rest is wasted onto their bedding. Laying down a lot at that age is pretty common at least in my experience.

You are doing absolutely fine! Once they can go outside, they won't need any additional supplements, they get all their vitamins and minerals from there. They will also gave swallowed their first set of grit-stones into their stomaches, so they can grind up solid food and plant material better. And forget about duck poop analysis! Their poop can vary from green sausage (when my ducks ran out of water overnight) to green puddles (fodder or salad for supper) to almost black, stinky puddles after eating too much protein. Solid sausages usually mean your ducks are not drinking enough, duck poop should have the consistency of oat-meal or more liquid. (You still enjoy your oatmeal for breakfast now? 😜)
It is even surprising when you compare what went in and how it comes back out: Red cabbage comes back out pale green, for example.

I vividly remember my Spring Ducklings in my home office during the late evening, me sitting at my computer, all lights in the room off, except the banker's lamp: cheep! peep! PRRRZ!! peep?
It was hillarious!

Never kiss them where? On the bill or in the pool?
I would not kiss them here nor there
I would not kiss them anywhere.

the only kind of poop you should really worry about is extremely bright neon green. That could be a sign they are not eating and they are pooping out stomach bile... Or a sign of infection.
chances are you're going to notice you already have a sick duck before you notice a bright neon green poop.
But of course take note of what they have been eating before you even worry about that.

With the niacin it really depends on what kind of feed you're giving them if it has enough.
You should be fine with Purina flock raiser or the naturewise feed.
But then again some dux tend to need more than others and the niacin is not going to hurt them.
I would not freak out about making sure they get it every day.. unless they are having issues.
You could just give them some with treats a couple times a week to make sure.
I usually just squirt some over some mealworms and let them eat that.

Back
Top Bottom