My moms boyfriends dog killed my silkie

I'm divorced with 2 daughters and have a gf.I been through and I'm still going through the court thing.Divorce is a nasty thing,and depending on the parents it can be hardest on the kids.Adults can be very bitter and selfish sometimes.
In my opinon you don't want to kill the dog,and although the thong thing is funny,your neighbor will eventually run out of panties to wear.Not to mention if you get caught by your neighbor or your moms boyfriend it will only make things worst for you.
That's not to say you can't teach that dog a lesson.I'm not a big fan of pitbulls or rotties.I have zero tolerences for dogs that kill chickens.I think many(not all) people choose these breeds because they think they are intimidating.When I was young my father and I had 9 coondogs so I don't hate dogs.
One thing for you to try is to take a few 12x12 squares of cloth and put them in your coop for a few days,someplace where your chickens will lay on them(like your nextbox) to get their sent on them.Then cut the squares into strips say 1/2 inch wide by 4inches long.Buy some cheap mouse traps,the more the better,dollar store ones will work fine.Then wrap the strip around the trigger and set the trap.Place these around your pen,after the dog gets snapped in the snout a few dozen times he won't go near your coop,trust me.This works for training dogs not to run deer.
Meanwhile,try to keep them penned up while he is there,no poison use traps instead,no stealing neighbors thongs,and tell your friend to loose the smokes.I doesn't make him tougher or cooler and one day he'll be glad he did or wish he did.
Most importantly,if there is something you don't like about your family life you can change it later on with your own family,just learn from your parents what you want or don't want to do.If you don't like something your parents are doing just make sure you don't do it with your kids and it will end there. Good luck Will
p.s. any question about the traps just ask.

Unfortunately, adults do not always make smart choices. Sometimes they put themselves before their children. Many adults do not value animals at all, or at least certain animals. Your mom and her boyfriend do not view the chickens as valid pets or as creatures with feelings or of any value. To them, it's no big deal that one was killed. There is probably not much you can do to change them. They are adults and most likely will not listen to a child, even if they are in the wrong. The best advice I can give you is keep your chickens in a strong coop and never let the dog be alone in the yard with them. Killing or harming the dog would make you just as bad as the boyfriend. Like you and others stated, the man is obviously just trash. Hopefully your mom will see that soon and send him packing, but you can't count on that. Just do what you can to keep your pets safe without causing anymore strife between you and your mom. One of these days you will be the adult and won't have to put up crap like that. One option you might have is to ask the SPCA to look into the care the dog is receiving. If it can be proven that he is not taking proper care of the dog (food, water, and shelter) or that the dog is overly aggressive, then it could be taken away from him.

thanks for all your advice. sorry I haven't logged on but we had computer problems.
My mom and I had a talk. She just thought it was a chicken and said she didn't
know how much I loved my silkies. Mom told Daryll not to bring his dog here anymore.
He hasn't been around anyways.

El

I am glad you were able to talk this out with your Mom.

I am a single mom and don't date. If I did, it wouldn't involve my kids unless it was becoming a serious relationship. By then, I would hope to know his personality.

I am sorry for your loss. ((hug))

Quote:
Good to see you back here on-line Elly. I don't know where you are, I'm in western Pa, but Janet and I have a 5 week old that we would be more than happy to give to you if you wnat. We don't know what it is but it has hairy legs lol, and from what i've seen only silkies have that (?)
Anywho check him/her out
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47967
And if you would like to have it you are welcome to it. There is another feller in here that said he has a freind with a shipping Co and would be more than happy to help us git it to you healthy andf happy..well maybe not happy lol But it is young and wil git over it lol
Let us know. Jim

Back
Top Bottom