1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Mutt Roo

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TuxtheMutt, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TuxtheMutt

TuxtheMutt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    My Mutt Rooster his father is a Millie and his mother is a Black Silkie. He has some of each in him for sure. Five toes and Black skin like his Mother and giant feathered feet and vulture hawks like his dad
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    I think he's a cutie!! [​IMG] and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

WOW! Look at those lugs!

he is pretty.

1 person likes this.
  4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

He is adorable.[​IMG]
    I personaly like mutts better but understand the need for pure breeding to keep certain traits at a maximum.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Very cute [​IMG]

You sure his mother is a Silkie though? He's got a single comb, pale skin, no crest, and a more refined type body. Silkies, even crosses, wouldn't let those traits pass on.

6. TuxtheMutt

TuxtheMutt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Quote:Well you can never really tell I guess but I only have two black hens and they are Silkies. Why else would he have black skin and 5 toes? Here are the parents I think anyway.
    [​IMG]

7. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    How cute!!!

8. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    He's cute! I love those legs of his.

Quote:Same here! I have seen a lot of very fun-colored mutts on here, or even ones with crazy fun features.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Well you can never really tell I guess but I only have two black hens and they are Silkies. Why else would he have black skin and 5 toes? Here are the parents I think anyway.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/115458_dscf8088.jpg

I believe that's a Silkie cross. She looks like someone crossed something with Silkie, then took the offspring and bred them to each other to get the recessive Silkied feathering back, but chose a silkie-feathered offspring with the other breed's traits, such as skin color, comb type, and body type. Purebred Silkies have crests, and have nearly blackened purple-hued combs; females have practically no comb, and its of a different shape.

But, anyway, both mom and dad are just as cute as the son. [​IMG]

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:He looks like he's wearing bell bottom pants!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by