My Name is Pearl *RIP Sweetheart*

The young ones were getting to look a lot like pullets now. Mom would come out with her
silver clicking box and snap away. About 10 weeks old:
Tallulah
941_teenager_chicks_026.jpg

Maudette
941_teenager_chicks_023.jpg

Audrey
941_teenager_chicks_027.jpg

Charlotte
941_teenager_chicks_025.jpg

We had some crisp nights in May and even June. But we're cold weather birds and the younger ones had feathers in enough, plus we all cuddled for warmth. It was all good. BTW the younger ones slept in the itty bitty coop that was attached to the big girl run. We older birds went into the big coop. It was understood, until later on.

Boy oh boy, Charlotte was gonna be a big girl! She was very sweet with her "siblings" and wherever she went, the other three followed. We older girls just watched. This big girl might be a problem later on we thought.

Mom & Dad were thrilled .....Charlotte was a beautiful white chicken, she had tenderness with her comrades and stuck up for them when we older ones tried to bother them. We figured she was the boss of the "little" flock. Every once in a while Dorothy would test Charlotte and Charlotte would run off in a goofy manner and just avoid the drama. The other three would just follow her.

941_charlotte_etc_010.jpg

Charlotte also liked to get to have "big girl run" to herself and have a lovely dust bath.

941_charlotte_etc_012.jpg

Or if she wanted to keep her bright white feathers lovely, she would just rest in the late afternoon sunshine.

941_charlotte_etc_014.jpg

One morning Mom & Dad woke up at 5:00 to a loud classic "COCK A DOODLE DO!!" We had heard that noise before, but they didn't.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Yes, Charlotte got renamed to Charly.

Mom was frantic for a while trying to figure out what to do! We couldn't have a rooster here, our neighbors are too close. It took a couple of weeks of Charly doing his rooster thing before he got re homed. But we all enjoyed his company while he was here, after all he was a very nice bird.

Audrey, especially really liked Charly. Where ever he went, Audrey was there. (the young ones tried to keep busy and not look!)

941_orig_flock_004.jpg

She was always sneaking in a little cuddle here and there.

941_orig_flock_006.jpg

We all thought Charly liked Audrey too.
love.gif

In the evenings Mom would come out with this large piece of black fabric and drape it over the little coop in hopes of blocking out the sun so Charly didn't crow so soon. It only worked for one morning, but it was worth it. (for Mom, because we didn't care, it was a rooster crowing, big deal) She even went to the neighbors to explain that they wouldn't be hearing his noise soon because they were going to find a new home for him.

Charly warming up for his morning roll call:

941_orig_flock_012.jpg

941_orig_flock_013.jpg

Charly found a lovely home in the next town with a farmer that wanted to start up his Grandaddy's chicken farm. The farmer is now breeding Charly and incubating his & his lovely new ladies eggs.
smile.png
(one day Mom will see if she can get some of those chicks, for sure!) But not now!

It was kinda empty without Charly...........

941_orig_flock_019.jpg

941_orig_flock_018.jpg

After a while the six of us got along real fine when we realized it was just us now.

941_orig_flock_020.jpg

And we really had a lovely summer.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm so glad Charly got a good home. Your girls sure do have a beautiful yard to hang out in-lucky ladies.

whew, I was afraid you would not post today...nice story, beautiful pictures!! Glad 'Charlotte' found a good home. I had a "Lucy" (RIR pullet I was told) that turned out to be a roo....Also found a good home where Lucy is now Louie and has a flock of ladies. He will hopefully become daddy to some cute chicks in the future! But Ethel, the BR that I got at the same time sure missed him a bit initially, they were always together. Thanks for sharing Pearls story

Thank you easttxchick & fldiver. I can't wait for Spring, everything in the back yard is frozen brown & gray dirt! I need to see some green!

What a gorgeous yard you (and the girls) have!! No wonder you are ready for warmer weather. How sweet that Audrey and Charlie had a "thing" for each other, but I'm sure he will have a wonderful life with his new flock. Love your writing, the photos and this story!!!

As a consolation for your cold weather.....I've been pulling weeds from the flowerbeds and garden areas for days.....It is too cold here to garden (we'll have highs in the 70s and then a drop to the 20s at night now and then), but plenty warm enough for the weeds to multiply like crazy!!! My aching back!

Thanks for writing and posting!!

Back
Top Bottom