My new career choice?

Yeah that's waht hubby said to me - he's also in school for his net. Admin degree - he says he should have started working on it a very long time ago, and doesn't want me to wait too long or I'll regret it.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!

I went back to school to finish my BS when I was 30. Then I went to grad school. It was hard work, lots of eating from the day-old-bread and dented can shelves but I would not trade it for anything.

I had been planning to go back to school for a very long time but just could not while working up to 3 jobs at a time. Then my DH, then my dear boyfriend, said that if I really wanted to go back to school go and he would pay the bills. I just had to figure out how to pay for school. I gave him one "Are you sure?" and I applied. I busted my butt in class, working part time, entering every writing contest for money, applying for any scholarship I could find. He worked up to 3 jobs at a time to make sure we did could eat. It was worth all the effort and hardship!

Go Go Go Go!!!! It is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your family.

Quote:
Have you read the book "The Last Lecture"? (If you haven't, it's an amazing read).

One of the things the author talks about is the "brick walls" in life. He says that the brick walls weren't put there to keep us out (to keep us from achieving our dreams). Instead, the brick walls were put there to allow success only to the people who want it bad enough.

I can see that you're facing some pretty tough "brick walls..."

- You're a mom and a wife. Family is a huge obligation.

- School is a long way away to drive. You don't live close enough.

- You don't have the money to take more than one class at a time.

- You're impatient. (And this is okay; it's normal to be impatient about something that we want really badly, like a kid on Christmas morning).

The question for you is... how badly do you want to become a veterinary technician? Are you going to allow the brick walls to keep you out, or are you going to keep chipping away at them, doing the best job you can with what you have, until they finally crumble away?

Good luck with reaching your dream.
smile.png
If you believe you can, I know you can.

Hubby wants me to take the Gen eds at the comm. college for now, then transfer them later, hoping we'll move closer to the college I need to go to. (It's located about a half hour from his work so we'd move closer to both). If I do that, and take only a couple classes at a time, it's still going to take me 6 years to finish! It's also going to cost over $30,000 altogether! And what happens with the boys and taking care of them if we DON"T move closer and I have to drive all the way there and back every day??!

I guess it's a little daunting when you write it all down like that. I'll be 39 when I'm done with my associates!

But I'm the type who gets stubborn - so my brain is set on trying to find a way around it all to get what I want...

Well I have been working on last two years of college to get my BS for about 4 years now. I will be finished next spring. It will have been totally worth it for me when I am completed. Have you considered taking online courses? Most accredited colleges offer them now, and if you can be self disciplined, they are so worth it! Also, are you eligible for any grants through financial aid? It's free to apply, so do it and find out
smile.png

My hubby is currently taking all his courses online (Net admin degree - it's ALL online!) so I am planning to take all I can online to help fit my schedule. HOWEVER. out of the 27 or so courses, only 7 are gen eds available online or at my local comm. college. All the others are Vet courses that usually require some kind of lab time in addition to the class lecture. It's all hands-on and not online, and the courses range in times from 9 AM to around 6 PM so it will be hard to fit it in with taking care of the kids since it will likely cost additional money in child care fees.

My kids are in school from 8:30 to 3, and not home on the bus until 4.

Last edited:
You may want to try your local vet offices and see if any are hiring. Many are willing to train you with no experience required. I started as a receptionist, worked my way up to doing vet tech work and finally the Office Manager. Smaller vet offices are usually happy to cross train their staff in case someone calls in sick.

Also check to see the pay difference between a certified vet tech and a non certified one. I know when I was working in KY that a certified vet tech at our office made pennies more than the one the Vet had trained himself who wasn't certified. The certified one told me for him it wasn't worth what he paid to go to school when the other vet techs were taught the same things for free.

Not trying to discourage you in any way. I LOVED working at a vet's office.

Definitely try your local vet hospitals. I work at as a vet tech in CT and we frequently hire and train people with little experience. Also,if you do an online vet tech program they frequently require you to do some clinical work as part of the course requirements. Does VT still not have any vet tech certification requirements?

Hmm... I used to be a Lunch Lady

I'd much rather work with frightened hurting animals who might bite me than to work with other people's children ever again <eg>.

Not to sound like I hate kids - I just don't like how their parents raise most of them - sadly.

I'd definately go with your dream of Vet Tech.

Peace -
Meriah

Back
Top Bottom