My new coop

AtlantaViking

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2020
Well, we bit the bullet and am putting the final touches on my coop. We have a 64 sq ft roost(4-6 ft height with lots of roosting spaces. It has two BestNest egg laying boxes and an Omlet Auto Door) and 88 sq ft area under the roost where food and water are provided.
A few questions for input:
1. Many chicken owners have told me that I do not need to put any food or water in the roost. That means that the chickens will be without either for somewhere between 9 and 12 hours per day.
2. I have 10 Buff Orpingtons(4 weeks old) currently and am adding 15 new chicks in 5 weeks. What age can I mix the Buffs with the new chicks in the coop?

Thanks for any input

Attachments

• D8873576-BCB2-46B9-9676-BCF33E7D692B_1_105_c.jpeg
    D8873576-BCB2-46B9-9676-BCF33E7D692B_1_105_c.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 28
:welcome :frow

1. Once the lights go out, my chickens don't come down from their roosts until morning. Keeping water in the closed portion of the coop can increase the humidity inside and potentially cause issues like frostbite and respiratory issues, depending on your climate).

2. If they grow up in sight of each other (divided coop or adjacent coops... I like this article, they will recognize each other and blend at a younger age and more easily. This is not always possible though, and if that is the case, they should be similar size at least. As much looking, but not touching time and space as possible makes the introductions go as smoothly as possible.

I hope something in this is helpful to you. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

ETA: Very nice looking coop!

A bit confused about the size of your coop.
25 birds is a lot of birds.

We have a 64 sq ft roost(4-6 ft height with lots of roosting spaces.
This is the enclosed portion above where they sleep at night?
Usually called the 'coop'.
Looks cool....pics of inside, please?

88 sq ft area under the roost where food and water are provided.
Wire enclosed are under and/or nest to coop is call the 'run'.
88sqft is not enough for 25 birds.

Welcome to BYC! @AtlantaViking
Are you in Georgia?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592341298715.png

Back
Top Bottom