My New Guinea Coop - Heavy Pics..

PhilH

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 9, 2012
Edinburg, TX (Deep South Texas)
I finally finished my Guinea Coop Saturday.. Just in time also.. We have new keets hatching today (Monday) so I need the room. Plus I hear chirping under my broody Guinea hens so I need the room in my Brooder...

I know it's a little early to put my 4 1/2 old keets outside but our temps have been fine.. In the 90's during the day & in the 80's at night..

I'm going into the hospital on Thursday for heart surgery so I have to make things easier on the wife..
barnie.gif

Here are the pics.. There quite a few...

Here it is from a distance.. I still have some guidelines on for stability.. I'll leave them on until I get home from the hospital..

A pic from the end.. It's nice & long.. It's 10'x30'..

You can see the roost I made with fence posts.. They love it..
They will fly from the top roost to the door. Then they run all the way back & do it again..

They learned how to get to the top in a hurry..

They are a happy bunch..

I don't know what they are looking at..

A couple of my Lavenders..

This little Lavender lets my 8 year old boy carry her all around their new coop. She or he is very gentle to my boy..

That's about it for now..

Phil

P.S. I know it was a little early to put them out, but with the surgery and all it was time..

Great coop/pen set-up, lucky keets to have all of that room. Love the pics of them all up on the roosts, too cute. I'm sure your weather is warm and mild, so they should be ok going out a little early. If they are huddling in a pile on the ground tonight they may need some shavings or straw to snuggle into tho.

And I can't tell from the pics but does the coop/pen have a wire floor or some wire skirting around the bottom to keep predators from digging under?

Good luck with your surgery
fl.gif
... Yikes, surgery on the ticker is really scary! Hope it all goes well for you.

When you're fully recovered you can come build about 4 or 5 of these coop/pens for all my Turkey poults, ok? LOL

That is so neat.Sorry about your HS hope all goes well will b e praying for u and family.

Thanks for all of the kind words..

I have 12 inch steel tent stakes every 6 inches to hold this thing down.. If someone wants to dig under they will have to work at it.. We have been lucky around here.. The only predator that has killed our poultry has been a hawk.. I hope they don't dig holes..lol

At night I have gone out & looked & they are on the 2 top roosts.. Guess the temp is fine..

I'm used to the surgery's..
he.gif

I had 7 bypasses when I was 37 years old. One surgery. I'm 54 years old now..

I am on my third implanted defibrillator..

I go in for stints (misspelled) Thursday.. I asked the Doc if there was a chance of having to break my chest open again & he couldn't promise that they wouldn't have to do that.

On top of that I also have Congestive Heart Failure. the heart muscle only pumps at about 50%..

But other than that I am in perfect health.. lol Got to try & keep up with my 8 year old..
wee.gif

Phil

P.S. I have 4 Pearl Grey keets in the incubator waiting for the brooder..
jumpy.gif
I also have 3 Guineas sitting on a nest about 2 foot wide. I don't know how many eggs they have but I can hear peeping there also..

Thanks indigo3 for the kind words...

We lost one Lavender keet this morning.
barnie.gif

The wife said all were there when she feed this morning.. I went out to check on them & one of the Pearl Grey's was trying to get back in.. I finally caught her & returned her to the coop. She had no sign of any kind of trauma.. There is no sign of the Lavender. Hopefully she will come back.

I think they got out at the door. It was easy to push open some.. I now have it firmly latched. If you move the door, the whole door jamb moves also. No opening whatsoever..

There are no holes dug around the run & no holes in the netting. Live & learn I guess.

Phil

Last edited:
Bummer, they really can be little Houdinis when they want to
hmm.png
Hopefully it's just laying low, well hidden and will come back to the sounds of the others.

Bummer, they really can be little Houdinis when they want to
hmm.png
Hopefully it's just laying low, well hidden and will come back to the sounds of the others.

The little brat came home. I went outside to let the dogs out & she was on a branch in the tree by the front door. She saw me & called. She flew down & let me pick her up with one hand. She nuzzled against my chest cooing all the way back to the coop.

When I tried to put her down she jumped on my arm like a perch. I don't know how she got so tame, but I'm not complaining.

Phil

P.S. I have a new Lavender in the incubator so that now makes 6 Lavenders..
wee.gif

Triple congrats, lol
yesss.gif

She was just giving your ticker one last test before your surgery...
big_smile.png
(at least let's hope that's the last, lol).

Back
Top Bottom