My ornithophobic friend is taking care fo my chickens--help

Mar 31, 2018
I'm leaving for a trip on Saturday and my best friend is taking care of our place for the week..i knew she didn't like birds, but i did not realize the extent of this fear and she said she isn't planning on touching them at all.. (had i known this, i would've waited to get them till we get back)

I have 3 ducklings (barley 2 weeks old) and 4 buff orpingtons (~3 weeks old) (as well as 4 CX outside) and i want to make sure their living conditions stay clean. I usually just plop the little ones together in one box while i'm cleaning out the other, but if she isn't willing to pick them up i'm not sure how she'll clean anything.

Since it's just for a week, would it be acceptable/healthy if she could scatter the pine shavings over the messy layer on a daily to every other daily basis? The ducks are my biggest concern because they splash water EVERYWHERE and i don't want mold to become an issue.
Please advise.

Is there any other person you might ask for help
check your state thread see if anyone close can help
I'm new to the area and i don't know anyone else who i could trust to come in my house. We also have horses and our dog (who knows her already) that need to be taken care of. I'll check that thread out though, thanks!

Finding another person would be best, I agree.
I'm assuming that the ducklings are in a separate brooder from the chicks, so the chicks are dry. They can have extra shavings added to keep the top cleaner and should be fine. Their waterer needs to be freshened daily, and the feeder filled; will she do that?
The ducklings also need fresh water daily, and their mess managed too. I've seen the waterer placed on a wire platform, so the spilled water isn't in the bedding. That will help, but still...
Could your two ducklings visit elsewhere while you are gone?
Mary

Finding another person would be best, I agree.
I'm assuming that the ducklings are in a separate brooder from the chicks, so the chicks are dry. They can have extra shavings added to keep the top cleaner and should be fine. Their waterer needs to be freshened daily, and the feeder filled; will she do that?
The ducklings also need fresh water daily, and their mess managed too. I've seen the waterer placed on a wire platform, so the spilled water isn't in the bedding. That will help, but still...
Could your two ducklings visit elsewhere while you are gone?
Mary

She'll be able to get them water and feed, my main concern is the bedding. I'll see what i can do for a platform for the ducklings. I might have one person who would be okay with changing the bedding, but I'll have to ask. I've only been in this area for 4 months so i don't really have any friends who could take them in.

I'm in the same boat... Some of my family is going on a vacation for a week, but my eldest can't come due to work. So she's going to take care of the dogs, but I have my sister and her boyfriend coming over to take care of the chickens because my daughter is terrified of specifically chickens, but otherwise she's afraid of birds. My ex's mom told my daughter that chickens could peck her veins out, and since then... absolute terror. She's getting better now that she's learning about them.... but yea, I'm getting my sister to watch my chickens.

I would not want a stranger in my house.
She may be able to scoop most the mess out without touching the birds,
how big is brooder?
Or would she be too freaked out just being near their fearful fluttering, cause you know that's gonna happen.
Any chance you can work with her to touch the birds, tiny chicks may help her get over her phobia.

Or look up your local 4-H groups (You can look up online or call county Agriculture extension office to point you in right direction). Contact the adult contact person for the one (or more) local 4-H group. That adult may help you to figure out a solution too. Many in 4-H deal with chickens and other farm animals (although 4-H isn't just about animals), and might be located near to you. Alternatively look up FFA (Future Farmers of America) to try same tactic.

Not sure where you are. But I have a relative in Los Angeles - very population dense area. Out of curiosity I looked up 4-H in LA county thinking there would be a few, but maybe not many. I was surprised at how many clubs were in LA county!

Back
Top Bottom