My Pea Pen - Irene Took Down!! *UPDATED W/PICS*

Another peafowl farm that was hit by the snow.. go to Brad leggs site and look at his link.. Brad is about 175 miles North of me and we only got about 2-3 inches here ,, I think he said around 30 inches in 2 or 3 days... Wish I could help ..... George
He had the same thing happen to him
sad.png
It's so sad when you see it but I am so glad that all the birds (mine and Brad's) were in a safe building when it happened. When it's wet snow that's the one that sticks to everything. Give me a blizzard over wet snow anytime, my pens stay up
wink.png
He has more work to do then I do. I know my pen will cost me about $1000 to redo, can't imagine what Brad's will cost
ep.gif

Yoda,first time I have really read this thread from start to finish. I understand your anguish first with the tree now with the heavy snow.I've been fortunate so far here and with this being the first winter season for my 50x50 area of 9 breeding pens I too was very concerned with some of the snow we had the past few months.We had several instances of freezing rain and at one point my top netting looked like a solid sheet of glass. I don't know,maybe it was because I criss-ctossed between all my poles as well as each perimeter of each square of wood posts,but even when we had all the ice my netting was not sagging in the least.There was noticable dips between the poles but not much more than 3-4"s was all.
As much as I dread it I think I will start building the west side aviary in early april.I was hoping to ward off the urge for expanding but thats not the case. If I were closer I'd help you rebuild.For some reason it's always easier to work on projects that financially show no reward but the inner peace we have with the end product is always priceless.
I got hit with an October snowstorm and 2 hurricanes and now this one. Be sure there are NO tree branches near your pen cause they are NOT your friend LMAO! My breeder pens that wrap around the main one are really not that wide maybe 8 feet and those went down as well. Frenchy learn by my mistake cause freezing rain isn't anything til you seen 10 plus inches of wet snow. Someone I work with rented a trailer on a 2 acre site because she could not find a rent with any land so she said she would try the trailer for the first time for a year. She woke up to her kitchen caved in from all the wet snow on the roof. She is now in a hotel paid for by the landlord til the trailer gets fixed. How does one fix a trailer cause I am lost at that LMAO.

The Palace has NO trees that are near it or any branches that overhang the pens.If I had gotten 10" of snow on top of the ice I'm sure mine would have been in a pile too.I guess you can build according to what your checkbook allows,or what is sufficient 90% of the time.Seems like the 10% extreme has hit your place 2-3 times too many.Your due for peace and quiet now for many years to come since you've been slammed so much in the past year,yes?? Trailers are all over for the cheep.Probably cost more to fix than getting another one.

More wet snow tonight up to 5 inches then it changes over to freezing rain. We are suppose to get 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice ontop of the 5 inches of snow. I know my pen is gonna fall again tomorrow from the weight and all I can hope is that I can do a quick fix again until the ground thaws out.

hugs.gif
Man this is tough to read, wished i could help ya out
hugs.gif

Sure would send you some sunshine, i was just soaking it up thinking how hot it felt today and summer is almost here.

Last edited:
I do what everybody says not to do... after I had a snow storm take down my flight netting and most of the fence, I put 1" chicken wire on the top. I pulled it as tight as I could by hand, but it still has a bit of give. I never lost any birds from flying up into it, and when the snow gets heavy the wire basically cuts through and the snow falls inside. I'm not saying that anyone else should do that, it just works for me. It was a pain to put up, and I do sometimes have to replace the zip ties that hold the wire together...

Quote: Summer... almost... here... I saw that so I ran outside with my camera. At least it only went down to 10 last night, and not -5 like it was a few nights ago. The first pic is a view down my driveway and into the little town where I live. The second pic is my poor car where it spent the winter sitting in the yard. The vehicle in the foreground is parked in an area where DH cleared the snow a bit...

Back
Top Bottom