My pigeons are pooping in their water

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I have two Birmingham Rollers in a small loft. I plan on making a bigger loft soon, but that's a different story! I am new to pigeons, I have had these two only a month or two. And I have a small problem.

I am currently using a chick waterer that I used to use for my chickens. But my loft is two levels and the always perch on or above their water and poop in it. The result is grossly green water and more work for me.

How do I stop this? I understand that I probably need a new waterer, but is it possible I could make one? And if I can't, how much do they normally cost and where can I buy them?

Hi! I have two Birmingham Rollers in a small loft. I plan on making a bigger loft soon, but that's a different story! I am new to pigeons, I have had these two only a month or two. And I have a small problem.

I am currently using a chick waterer that I used to use for my chickens. But my loft is two levels and the always perch on or above their water and poop in it. The result is grossly green water and more work for me.

How do I stop this? I understand that I probably need a new waterer, but is it possible I could make one? And if I can't, how much do they normally cost and where can I buy them?
Hi!!! I don't have a pigeons but I do have a goose and he has projectile poo that comes out by the masses in his overnight time in the brooder. I got a gallon milk jug and cut a hole in the side about an 2inch up from the bottom where he could stick his head through and that has been a life saver. I know the chick's are able to drink out of this also. I hope this helps!

Hi!!! I don't have a pigeons but I do have a goose and he has projectile poo that comes out by the masses in his overnight time in the brooder. I got a gallon milk jug and cut a hole in the side about an 2inch up from the bottom where he could stick his head through and that has been a life saver. I know the chick's are able to drink out of this also. I hope this helps!
That sounds like a great method! Thanks!

Do like @LilyS says and recycle gallon milk jugs. Keep the lids on.
This is exactly what I use for my pigeons. :thumbsup

Move the perches?

If you want a new waterer, get a milk jug and cut a hole, or a 5 gallon Bucket. Keep the water clean! I change mine 4 times a day, and recommend anyone to do the same. also add Apple cider vinegar. 2 tablespoons per gallon of water.

i hope this helps!

Move the perches?

If you want a new waterer, get a milk jug and cut a hole, or a 5 gallon Bucket. Keep the water clean! I change mine 4 times a day, and recommend anyone to do the same. also add Apple cider vinegar. 2 tablespoons per gallon of water.

i hope this helps!
Okay, thanks! About how high up should I cut the hole?

HI!
something that also happens is birds enjoy where their water bowl is placed a little too much, to prevent this, make sure to watch you birds, if you see them preferring a site over the water bowl, you have two options:
one- make the site less comfortable by changing the perch layout, lighting, etc.
two- more the watering apparatus to a less comfortable site.

If you really wanted to stick with the chick waterer you could always make a cover out of a small piece of plywood and some 2x4 pieces so that they poop on the plywood instead of the waterer but the empty milk jug with a hole would be just as easy. Either way

Back
Top Bottom