SemiQ

Songster
Aug 20, 2018
Victoria, Australia
I have two female quail that are having trouble getting along.
For context, I have a wild coloured one called Rigby and a Italian coloured one called Butter (Rigby is slightly larger in size). They have laid eggs so I know they are both female. Rigby was hand -raised alone, while Butter was raised with other quail. Rigby had been on her own for a while before I decided to move the three into the pen with her. Everything was fine at first until two of the males started to get too excited. They nearly killed Butter by pecking open her head. So I moved her into a cat carrier until she healed (I also sold the two males as they nearly did the same to Rigby). Today I decided it was time to move Butter back in with Rigby (she is fully healed). It did not go well, Rigby instantly starting pecking at her which caused her to panic and pace. I tried leaving it for a little bit but it didn't help so I moved Butter back to the carrier.
Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and how I can solve it?
I was thinking of getting a bigger pen so they have more space.
Please, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

A bigger pen is a good idea, but I’d also suggest providing a hiding space. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, a small cardboard box with a hole in it and some dirt/straw inside should work just fine.
Mine initially bullied a new female I added, but after a couple days and the addition of a “safe spot” where they can destress, they all got used to each other. Now they only fight when they see we’re bringing them treats :lau
Good luck with your girls!

A bigger pen is a good idea, but I’d also suggest providing a hiding space. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, a small cardboard box with a hole in it and some dirt/straw inside should work just fine.
Mine initially bullied a new female I added, but after a couple days and the addition of a “safe spot” where they can destress, they all got used to each other. Now they only fight when they see we’re bringing them treats :lau
Good luck with your girls!
Will do, thanks for the reply. :D

Back
Top Bottom