My quails look ill

Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
I got my first quails about two weeks ago, two female coturnix quails. They were seven or eight weeks old at the time. When they arrived, they were not eating enough, standing with ruffled feathers and eyes closed almost all day. I thought it was because of the recent change of home. They became more active a few days later and even laid some eggs. One day, one of them laid an egg without a shell but I wasn't too worried about it, but she stopped laying and hasn't laid an egg since then. I also realized that she leaves cecal droppings behind more often and sleeps a lot again, so I called a vet and he said it must be coccidiosis. I treated both of them for four days and I hoped they will feel better. But today they don't even want to eat, they drink a normal amount of water (or a bit more) and that one quail did another foamy looking poop again. The other one was leaving liquid and bubbly droppings. Now I'm worried again because I don't want my first pair of quail to die. Please help!

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry it's for such a reason, but you'll find a lot of helpful people here.

Is there a chance that they are egg bound? The soft shelled or no shelled egg is a sign of not enough calcium in their diet. I'm no expert, however. I've only been raising quail since July.

I hope someone here has a better idea of how to help.

Can you post pictures of them?

Have they both laid an egg?
Males do poops with foam in them. Are you sure they're both girls?

What are you feeding them?

How did you get them? were they delivered or did you pick them up?

Can you post pictures of them?

Have they both laid an egg?
Males do poops with foam in them. Are you sure they're both girls?

What are you feeding them?

How did you get them? were they delivered or did you pick them up?
Yes, they both laid eggs. I feed them chicken layer feed, because that's what the breeder used to give them too. I also give them apple sometimes. I picked them up.

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry it's for such a reason, but you'll find a lot of helpful people here.

Is there a chance that they are egg bound? The soft shelled or no shelled egg is a sign of not enough calcium in their diet. I'm no expert, however. I've only been raising quail since July.

I hope someone here has a better idea of how to help.
Can egg bound chickens and quails still poop? I heard that they die because they can't.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom