My quails look ill

Fortunately, they have gotten more active and they also eat more food. The brown one eats less and still sleeps a lot, so I'm not sure what's going on. They still have some cecal poop.

Fortunately, they have gotten more active and they also eat more food. The brown one eats less and still sleeps a lot, so I'm not sure what's going on. They still have some cecal poop.
Chicken layer feed is typically only 16% protein....you may consider giving them some mashed boiled egg for extra protein until you can look for a higher protein food....if not enough calcium in feed, you can give supplement but make sure it’s powdery as oyster shell for chickens can cause impacted crop. The vet may have said 4 days but I’ve always seen 7-10 day treatment with corid for coccidiosis on byc....shouldn’t hurt to treat longer

I give them boiled eggs sometimes and I also bought supplement but I didn't give them yet. The vet only gave me the amount of medicine that is enough for 4 days. It wasn't corid, it was something else.

I give them boiled eggs sometimes and I also bought supplement but I didn't give them yet. The vet only gave me the amount of medicine that is enough for 4 days. It wasn't corid, it was something else.
You can buy corid if you still think it’s coccidiosis but if they are showing signs of improvement, I would continue doing what you are doing and look for a higher protein feed. The purina all-flock crumble is a good choice if wanting a dual-purpose feed for both chickens and quail.

Chicken food is insufficient for quail. They need at absolute minimum 20% protein, and fare far better closer to 24%. Game bird feed is recommended in areas where quail feed is not specifically available. If you're absolutely stuck feeding lower protein feed, then you'll need to supplement with other sources of protein. Ground up dry cat food is typically 30% protein and can be offered at a 50/50 ratio, by weight, not volume to boost the protein levels of the chicken feed. The formula to determine the finished product's protein at a 50/50 mix is <chicken feed protein level divided by two> plus <cat food protein level divided by two>. So if the chicken feed is at 16% and the cat food is at 30%, you'd end up with 16 divided by 2 (equals 8) PLUS 30 divided by 2 (equals 15), for a grand total of 23% protein (an improvement of 7%). It is NOT recommended to feed only cat food because the amino acid ratios are not correct for quail, but boosting their protein in this manner is far superior to not boosting it at all. In addition to boosting their protein levels in this way, you may need to consider supplementing their vitamin and minerals with a poultry supplement. I personally use a product called Chick Booster (TM) by NuroVet. It contains a very long and impressive grocery list of vitamins and minerals and is specifically designed for poultry. I use 5ml per liter of water for adult quail, and double the dosage to 1ml per liter for baby quail as they drink less and often need the supplementation more. Change their water daily, even if it's not soiled, as nasty things grow in nutritious water.
Quail are typically exceptionally resistant to coccidiosis, but because they've been malnourished that resistance has been compromised. Despite your vet suggesting four days of amprolium (Corid), I think that seven days on at the "acute outbreak" dosage WITHOUT VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTATION, one week off (no vitamins yet either), and seven days back on at the "prophylactic" dosage (Again without vitamin supplementation) and then regular water WITH VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTATION from then on should give your birds a fighting chance.
I will keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Thank you so much! The problem is that I can not find corid. I've looked for it but the vet said that he hasn't heard of corid so he gave me something else, which was a liquid medicine quails have to take by mouth. It was only enough for four days.

I'm curious why the vet would tell you cocci without ANY dx whatsoever. You would know you have it by the blood stain poo look it leaves behind. Without testing it was a very irresponsible suggestion to make.
If a bird is fighting something that you are not treating for and you give something else to kill bacteria (good and bad), it lowers the immune system and does nothing to treat what's wrong. If the birds came to you fluffed up, then chances are they were sick when you bought them. I've placed plenty of cots over the years. I follow up with buyers to make sure the birds I sell them are doing good. Only one time did someone I sold birds to have an issue but I think it was heat stress from being in a hot car for too long.
Game bird feed really is the best choice. I tried other feed but had problems. Not all areas carry game bird feed. You could go with All Flock and supplement meal worms.

Thank you so much! The problem is that I can not find corid. I've looked for it but the vet said that he hasn't heard of corid so he gave me something else, which was a liquid medicine quails have to take by mouth. It was only enough for four days.

Where are you located? By what I've heard, corid is a thing in America, but probably goes by a different name in other places.

I'm curious why the vet would tell you cocci without ANY dx whatsoever. You would know you have it by the blood stain poo look it leaves behind. Without testing it was a very irresponsible suggestion to make.
If a bird is fighting something that you are not treating for and you give something else to kill bacteria (good and bad), it lowers the immune system and does nothing to treat what's wrong. If the birds came to you fluffed up, then chances are they were sick when you bought them. I've placed plenty of cots over the years. I follow up with buyers to make sure the birds I sell them are doing good. Only one time did someone I sold birds to have an issue but I think it was heat stress from being in a hot car for too long.
Game bird feed really is the best choice. I tried other feed but had problems. Not all areas carry game bird feed. You could go with All Flock and supplement meal worms.
Thank you. So our vet is not a really good one. My friend told me that he gave her dog some unnecessary medicine and almost killed it.

Back
Top Bottom