My Rooster has stopped Crowing! what is wrong? (pics)

Spiresbuilt

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 11, 2010
My black Bantam rooster "Jagermeister" that is about a year old has all of a sudden stopped crowing for the last 2 days. He normally crows non stop and drives my husband crazy. I know my husband loves the fact that the rooster hasn't made any noise in 2 days, but I don't think it's so good.

He hasn't eaten as much as he used to. He never had a "dirty butt" before, but now he does as if his poop is a little runy and he has stopped crowing and making any noise what so ever. Not even a little girgle of a sound (which is not like him especially when I hold him) He is a tame family pet of ours.

When I held him, he felt very warm. He no noticeable problems in his eyes or discharge anywhere.

I work mon-fri away from home and only come home on weekends......... so it's hard for me to take care of him myself. I had left the caring of him to my husband. I noticed that the water in the cage was needless to say...nasty. I have a feeling he has contracted a bacteria from the water. Since then I have completely cleaned the cage and he has fresh water.

Besides going to a vet, what antibiotic can I administer that would help? what is the fastest resolution?

Please help...... I never a had a sick chicken before!

see pics of him few months ago........

http://my4chickens.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

http://my4chickens.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#10

I have 3 other hens but he is kept separate from them and has been for few months. The hens are Amber Bock (brown), Margarita (white) and Brandy (black)

welcome-byc.gif

Hope your Roo is feeling better soon!!

I checked him for lice and mites and I don't see anything!

From a local farm store her in town, they recomemded Duramycin 10. what do you think?

I guess it was too late........ we gave him the med. from the local farm store they recommended, but he died last night.
sad.png

thanks for all who helped.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

It sounds like he may have contracted something, possibly from the water, or something else. Specially since he had a fever and wasn't crowing.

He was the 1st rooster I ever had.......... he loved the other 3 hens I had: Amber Bock, Margarita and Brandy......

I know they know something is up. They hang around his cage now........wondering where he is.

Thank you for your thoughts............. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom