My rooster is a nuisance but I love him

what time does he crow? Is it the same time every night?
is he a lone bird? I have watched my birds when they crow and it depends on what is going on that I cannot detect. For example, One of my boys started crowing fir no reason so I thought in the middle of the afternoon, steadily looking at this old car across the street. Suddenly, A cat was screaming for its life over there and jumped out of the abandoned car. Rooster stopped crowing. Anotjer example.. horribly nasty man across the street abuses his wifes pets when she is away. She dies not believe that he is cruel to the animals, even when her dog had an injured knee from the same hubby kicking it. Whenever he shows up, the alarm rings out:

I need my rooster to stop crowing in the middle of the night. All of my chickens are at risk bc of him bc my property is a hair too small to get a chicken permit in my town...but the economy sucks and I'll be dammed if I'm not slightly self sufficient...he keeps ripping the no crow collar off..
Any advice? I'm concerned putting it on him bc he faints....why does he faint? That's my main question....I can fit my pinky underneath...

But it seems to freak him out.

His name is Themi Lovato bc I initially thought he was a Hen pretending to be a rooster....and he's now kinda famous in my town...
But if any busy body calls up the town on me I'm screwed. You would think the more times I have to wake up at 4 am to go tackle my rooster and recollar him would make me hate him but it's the complete opposite...its like some weird bonding experience....

He's such a good rooster lol maybe too good at being a rooster...😩
Welcome to BYC!

Glad to meet you and sorry for your rooster problems. Animals don't act for no reason, so the above posts should give your some ideas what to look for.

If the trigger for his crowing is something you can affect, you might be able to fix this problem. Figure out what makes him crow in the night and either stop the trigger, or hide it from him.

If you can't find the trigger, or fix it, it really does seem hard on the boy to try to muffle him with a rooster collar. I understand your worries - I am also a chicken keeper in what my area calls "heavily settled" area.

Best ideas I have seen for rehoming a rooster (where you want him to live his happiest best life):
1. Craigslist for your area
2. Facebook local poultry interest group (if you have one)
3. Back Yard Chicken's Animal rehoming list and thread for your state or area.
4. Breeder you got him from - if it's not a mega shipper, but local breeder, they might take him from you.

In all cases, if you are allowed to post an image, include the best glamor shot you can get of the rooster, along with all the info you have about breed, where you got him, and temperament. Is he nice with people and his hens? Is he protective? Is he healthy and sound? Be sure you mention in the header for the post your town or area so people know how far the rooster is from them.

Rehome him. You don't need a rooster for eggs.
No crow collars are dangerous and often deadly. If he is "fainting " you are killing him slowly and cruely.
He only fainted twice the first two times I put it on, I was told they are kinda like fainting goats and just scare easily...I've been giving him meal worms when I put it on now and he seems to be more comfortable now, but if he does keep up the issue I am rehoming him to a barn near by in two weeks....so that option is on the table already. I was keeping the collar off him because I blocked off the street where the headlights were coming from and he stopped crowing until actual sunrise, 7 am ...which is doable....but this morning he was going off at 4 am and I heard a rooster off in the distance so it seems that rooster is also a trigger for him to go off....They were all on top of the coop...so I am not sure if the rooster off in the distance was alerting to a predator or something (I ran out immediately and there was nothing in our yard or near by....so thats the only logical conclusion I could come up with..)

Welcome!
They crow at night because something is up. They hear a noise, they see a light. Something is setting him off.
I would build him a rooster box (dark wood box) in the coop for sleeping. That should help him be quiet during the night. HOWEVER. He will still crow during the day, and those collars aren't humane. It might be better to consider rehoming him to someplace he can crow to his heart's content. The reason he is "fainting" is he feels like he cannot breathe.

Back
Top Bottom