my rooster is opening mouth gasping for air so often. Any tips/help?

J_lovely

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
My rooster has recently started to gasp for air and hasn’t been eating, I’ve been giving him orally water to keep him hydrated. His been inside as he is recovering from an attack. We did get him some company just like the vet had suggested, and now I am so devastated seeing him like this. Please someone help, anything is appreciated. He doesn’t have foamy eyes or anything. He does shake his head when gasping for air. He seems to raise his bottom eyelids to the middle but then stops. I will show footage if it can help in anything. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 15
He’s very pretty (handsome) I hope someone here has an idea. When the attack happened, what were his injuries? Maybe an infection is causing heavy breathing. Is it fast? Rapid heart rate? We had to tube feed our rooster recently as he wasn’t eating and lost weight. Vet could not find a reason. No parasites……

- hasn't crowed in days
-
He’s very pretty (handsome) I hope someone here has an idea. When the attack happened, what were his injuries? Maybe an infection is causing heavy breathing. Is it fast? Rapid heart rate? We had to tube feed our rooster recently as he wasn’t eating and lost weight. Vet could not find a reason. No parasites……
the vet that attended him is close, the attack was caused by a dog, skin ripped apart but since then new feathers have started to grow, and he was on medication. He was inside during his healing process. Thank you for the compliment as well!

I’m such a newbie myself, but it couldn’t hurt to add the electrolyte powder to his water. Maybe it will give him strength to recover.

Has he been wormed?

He is not eating as he should. Is he losing weight?

Where were his wounds? Were there puncture wounds? He may be trying to fight off an infection.

What kind of medication did the vet have him on? Was something to prevent infection, and did he finish his full round of that med?

How is his crop? I've read several posts on BYC recently about chickens having trouble breathing, or coughing, shaking their heads - and it appears impacted crop can cause the symptoms you describe. Just a possibility... I'm not an expert.
Please read this article by BYC member @azygous:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Apologies for the late response, I did try to locate his crop and it seems to be normal, not sure if it’s normal but he hasn’t ate since he starting being like this

Back
Top Bottom