My roosters wing might be broken.

Ilovemyduckies

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
So, we've been gone for the weekend. This morning, I went outside to check on my chickens, and one of my roosters was walking around with his wing dragging on the ground to were he was stepping on it. Any ideas on what I should do?

Sorry for the lack of details. I wasn't home, and were about to leave. I just wanted to post it before we left anyways.

So, I went outside to check on my chickens this morning, and found that one of my roosters was walking around with his wing dropped clear to the ground. It was covered in mud and he was stepping on when he walked. I think I'm gonna tie is up with something so he's not stepping on it, but I don't what else I should do. Any advice?

Try feeling the wing along the bone and see if you can feel a break. You can get an ace bandage or "vetwrap" and fold his wing against hes body like it normally would be and wrap the wing against his body so it can't move (firm but not too tight to cut off circulation). You may have to keep it on for 4-6 weeks if it's a break. Hopefully if it is a break it will heal or if he sprained it it will heal soon.

Tammie

I think it might just be sprained. I felt his bone and didn't feel anything, and there's no external wounds

A pic would help
wink.png

Something got into my coop once before leaving one my girls with a broken wing, I trimed the feathers back as far as I could so it didn't drag, and it eventually healed back the way it should. You can tell when she tries to fly it's not normal but she gets around just fine

Back
Top Bottom