My silkie has diarrhea and lost ALOT of weight

This is what I would do. I just had a young silkie have the same issue with the runny poo and corid not helping. Very well could be bacterial enteritis or something like that. I take a 6ml syringe and fill that and give her 4 full syringes of water morning and night and a few through the day. She’s losing a lot of moisture and needs more to flush her system. I also take an egg and scramble it in a bowl. Ad a teaspoon of crumble chick starter and cook the scramble mixture up. I sprinkle probios on it and then take dime size chunks and open her mouth and shove them down in her mouth. Get them way back in and she will swallow. You should beable to give her most of the egg in one forced feeding. She needs firm foods to firm the poo up and high protein and fat to get her weight back. Feed her this way morning and night til her crop is full. Massage the crop a little when feeding to burp her and get air out to make room for more food. My pullet was on the brink of death and she has made a full recovery but it took a week of this force feeding.

Okay. I'll add probiotics. I was feeding her egg but stopped bc they have thiamine and her poo was still runny and I was worried it was working against the corrid. She had 1 formed poo today, so I'll add egg back. It def has alot of vitamins etc she needs. I also have been crushing selenium in her feed, to help her absorb the vitamins she isnt pooping out!
How much water should she have everyday? 16ml 4x a day? Or more than that?
Thank you guys so much. I know I am already doing some of this stuff. But as crazy as everything has been this week with rain and animals (pig tracking in mud etc) Its very helpful to have someone talk through and make sure you have the right game plan!!!!!! I appreciate it!!❤❤

Last edited:
Okay. I'll add probiotics. I was feeding her egg but stopped bc they have thiamine and her poo was still runny and I was worried it was working against the corrid. She had 1 formed poo today, so I'll add egg back. It def has alot of vitamins etc she needs. I also have been crushing selenium in her feed, to help her absorb the vitamins she isnt pooping out!
Thank you guys so much. I know I am already doing some of this stuff. But as crazy as everything has been this week with rain and animals (pog tracking in mud) Its very helpful to have someone talk through and make sure you have the right game plan!!!!!! I appreciate it!!❤❤
30 ml of water.
16 ml 4x a day of fed.

Thank you guys so much. I know I am already doing some of this stuff. But as crazy as everything has been this week with rain and animals (pog tracking in mud) Its very helpful to have someone talk through and make sure you have the right game plan!!!!!! I appreciate it!!❤❤

I would 24ml of water per feeding, giving her a drink in between a few bites of food. Water passes thru the crop faster and will help soften the egg that’s in there. Your doing good! Keep it up!

Okay so Today I weighed her and she in 593g. So she has gained 63g since yesterday. She got another bath and didn't lay on her side after. She hasnt ate as much today.
20181025_182150.jpg
20181025_180524.jpg
20181025_180524.jpg
20181025_180524.jpg
20181025_180540.jpg
20181025_182110.jpg
20181025_180714.jpg
20181025_182015.jpg
20181025_182150.jpg

Problems are her crop is huge, her feathers are all falling out(I combed them out in clumps), also he skin is super discolored (I tried to get pics but it didnt pick it up good) where she sit in poo, I try to clean it but I cant keep up. I put a pediatric urine collection bag on her butt to maybe help. Some of the poo is hard to get out but it kinda feels like sand. I'm not sure if that is normal. Could it be yeast?

Yes that sandy poo is hard to get off. It’s kinda normal but not in huge amounts. I recommend giving her some poultry cell by rooster booster. Can get it at TSC and syringe 3ml once a day. The iron in it will help with any blood loss due to internal damage from enteritis or coccidiosis. Also has other vitamins to help her with her appetite and energy.

UPDATE:
Took her to the Vet. They said she had a 108 temp.
Doesnt think its maereks but is testing for it.
Doesnt think its Cocci so we are stopping corrid. Stool test should be back tomorrow.
Thinks she has respritory/pneumonia and diarrhea could be related. Antibiotics should stop diarrhea and break her fever. They cant say if she will recover, that she is really sick. But she us eating and drinking on her own.

Back
Top Bottom