My turn to rant... food bank food

I've actually cooked a box of pasta, and while it was boiling I saw pantry moth larva rise to the top....I took a spoon and scooped them out. (I guess there was about 10 of them) I didn't say anything, and no one noticed. Waste not, want not was how I was raised too.
hide.gif
We're still alive!

Quote:
gig.gif
It's gross when you think about it. We didn't eat the worms, I scooped them out! It's the "knowing they were in there" that gets you. BTW I didn't have any, I was doing lowcarb at the time.
wink.png

We was dirt po when I was a chitlen. We got food from food pantries quite regularly. We eventually had to stop though because there was only moldy bread and out dated food stuffs.

Pretty sad they stuff they put up at those places.

Around here though the grocery stores send their seconds and wilty veggies and fruits. We havent needed food for years now, but we helped out with the pantry for a long while. The commercial entities were pretty good about what they sent. The local people notsomuch. You really cant use hardly anything they donate. If its not gross (pickled hog knuckles? What the hell?) its grossly outdated... 1999 was a long time ago people! We dont want your cans!

Oh well. People survive.

I once mowed down on a bag of walnuts.. I was munching away quite happily on my little treat when i thought I had a hair stuck to my lip. Upon further investigation I realized it was the silk of miller moth larve. And I was eating them right along with all those nuts.

mmmm fear factor.

I have a jar of Chunky Skippy Peanut Butter unopened in my cabinet that expired in 1997. My Dad gave it to me in a bunch of canned food that ironically he got from the food bank back in 2001. I have saved it and will continue to do so until I can make a few buck selling it on eBay...
Along with my smiley face piece of bread I have in the freezer... lol

I get most of my food from discount grocery stores so it's past date and dented. I've gone to the food bank for help once or twice since my hubs lost his job and I've seen 300+ lb people get out of cadilacs and jacked up 2000's trucks to wait in line... I'm suprised the food bank is still around the way people take advantage of it...

Back
Top Bottom