My turn to rant... food bank food

Maybe THATS what we need. KFC food banks. Then no one can judge the starving fatties or the pizza faced kids standingin line with their fairly new caddys waiting for seconds from the colonel.

Everyone's happy but the chickens.

Last edited by a moderator:
lau.gif

I work our church pantry. We get ours from the Care and Share here in the Springs. They are usually pretty good about the dates, however some do sneak by. I am often stunned at how far out of date stuff is. But the majority of it isn't. The majority is with in a year before the expiration date.

For my own stuff, i don't worry much about the date if it passed 6 -8 months (depending on the item) ago. But I wouldn't donate that. My reason is that I don't mind it a little past the date. Other people might be skeeved out about it. The point of the the donating (For me) is to give people something they WILL eat. So I try to donate things people would not have a worry about.

We get fresh foods in too. Sometimes they are good, but our church doesn't have a high demand for it. So sometimes my lead and i take the good stuff and find someone to take it right away. The "passt shelf life" fresh stuff often gets to my compost pile. The stuff that we worry will go bad before someone can get it goes to my hens or bunnies.

Quote:
I think you should draw a line between abuse of the system and fat, they are not the same.
My adopted mom was over 300+ and when she died of renal failure the Dr. said she was anerexic...ie..starving to death and she was still fat.

Quote:
I think you should draw a line between abuse of the system and fat, they are not the same.
My adopted mom was over 300+ and when she died of renal failure the Dr. said she was anerexic...ie..starving to death and she was still fat.

If you dont eat with renal failure it doesnt matter how big you are or arent, you rbody will shut down and not use any of its stores. That is not kosher. Poor thing! That must have been horrific. My gramma was quite hefty when she died of the same thing, she had cancer too. She wasted away, but not skinny. Everything shut down and couldnt process the stored fat that might have otherwise sustained it.

Terrible stuff. Sad.

Lets not talk about it. That makes me sad.

Quote:

If you dont eat with renal failure it doesnt matter how big you are or arent, you rbody will shut down and not use any of its stores. That is not kosher. Poor thing! That must have been horrific. My gramma was quite hefty when she died of the same thing, she had cancer too. She wasted away, but not skinny. Everything shut down and couldnt process the stored fat that might have otherwise sustained it.

Terrible stuff. Sad.

Lets not talk about it. That makes me sad.

me to, my point was not to judge those you know nothing about.

Food banks are good to have but bad for our diets!
lol.png
Besides I love their corn dogs, spagetti and packaged items.

For the stuff I dont want or eat, I would donate right back to the pantry when I come for the stuff. DD loves the popiscles and candies from one church but the rest of them dont give too much stuff because they are so stretched to the max. i noticed our portion is two bags while I used to have a big box or four to six bags of goodies last year.

Seriously? This thread went from food bank food to talking about someones weight????
roll.png

My original comment: We clean out our canned goods once a year when the Postal Service has their annual can drive. That makes everything no more than a year old.

Quote:
#1. Food expiration dates are a product of the big business food industries to brain wash you that you need to dump food past the date. It should be a crime for food banks to dump past expiration food. A can of peaches 6 years past the expiration date has more food value than most in date potato chips, Little Debbie Cakes. soda pop etc. Sealed containers (not dented) are not dangerous, just may have lost a bit of the nutrient value they started with.

#2. Americans have been so "rich" in food for so long that they are stupid about food and lack there of. Go ask a poor person from the slums of India if they will turn their noses up at a can of out dated food. How can you seriously ask outdated food to be sent to a landfill instead of being given to truly hungry people. If you are insulted, quit going to a food bank. Really hungry people are not insulted by being offered foods.

#3. Please go read "The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck, because you have no real idea what food insecurity is. Your current idea is like someone being insulted because the clothes offered at the thrift store are last years fashions, and make you a "lesser person" if you have to dress your self in something less than what your upscale neighbor is wearing.

Back
Top Bottom