My turn to rant... food bank food

But that gives way to another issue - if the food is 'preserved' in such away to be fresh years after its purchased by date - what is it doing to your insides?

I cant stand to eat boxed foods. This is a very good point, and the reason WHY i dont eat them, let alone feed them to my kid.

On another note, it seems to me that a lot of the out dated food issues could be solved if people just threw an extra something in their cart every week and dropped at the food bank. Thats what I generally do if iam going to donate any food item. Intead of waiting for the food drive and cleaning out their pantry.​

I would absolutely NEVER EVER donate expired food.

Several times a month I take very large loads of bread either at expiration date or somewhat past to the food bank.

I have specifically asked the director about the dates and she has no problem with it what so ever. As long as it isn't stale and moldy, people who are in need would rather have expired bread than NO bread.

If you are starving, being picky about your food isn't a luxury.​

A good point, but in my most humble opinion those who are more fortunate should be considerate when donating. Perhaps I feel strongly about this because of how close it hit home recently...

My brother and his pregnant wife lost their jobs and had to get assistance from the food bank, and someone donated something that was expired by 3 months. My brother & his wife didn't notice and ate it.... soon after they were both extremely sick. They were both taken via ambulance to the local hospital - brother just needed some fluids and meds for nausea, but his wife wasn't as lucky - she was so violently ill that they kept her in the hospital for days and it was touch and go for the unborn baby. Luckily they're all healthy today - avoid all expired foods and their baby boy is due at the end of June.

Because of the above I know that I would have trouble sleeping if I treated the less fortunate like trash compactors that can have my scraps and expired goods. "Let them eat cake" comes to mind.
hmm.png

Feeding the needy is so very important, but keeping them healthy and out of the hospital because of food poisoning is just as important - especially when it affects innocent children.

Wow - I think on that note I'm going to go grab my cup of coffee and perk up a bit. I promise it wasn't my intention of hurting feelings - the above is pretty direct. Hmm.. perhaps this subject is a little too heavy for me on a Friday morning.
caf.gif
wink.png

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Elaine and a former boss, that she got fired, open a bakery, Top of the Muffin or something like that. Eventually they end up with hundreds of muffin bottoms and didn't know what to do with them. So they donate them to a food bank thinking they are doing a real service for their community. A couple of days after they donate a woman comes in wanting to know if they are the ones leaving muffin bottoms at the food bank. Elaine is proud as a peacock, until the woman says, "Just b/c these people are in need you think we are happy to get the bottom of the muffin?"

In NH federal funding to food banks is only granted when that food bank accepts only food within date, otherwise federal funding is withheld. Our local food bank is independent doing their own fundraising, budget and regulations so that they are not bound by the federal guidelines. They often accept outdated food.

The belief is that the shelf-life is just that, based upon a study that the manufacturer does to show that the product is good up until that date. However, many times the product is a new product so the "real-time" shelf life is fairly short or by federal guidelines an exponential study can only be forecasted for so long. Sorry I worked for a company that used shelf-life studies.

My sister's school, she a reading teacher, did a drive for feminine beauty and health products - she donated some soaps, lotions and a box of feminine products. Can you believe that some teachers actually brought in partially used soap and lotion dispensers, tampons not in a box and pads just put in a plastic bag?

Yes it is a donation, but come on- these are "sanitary" products for a reason.
hu.gif

4hooves&featheredfriends :

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Elaine and a former boss, that she got fired, open a bakery, Top of the Muffin or something like that. Eventually they end up with hundreds of muffin bottoms and didn't know what to do with them. So they donate them to a food bank thinking they are doing a real service for their community. A couple of days after they donate a woman comes in wanting to know if they are the ones leaving muffin bottoms at the food bank. Elaine is proud as a peacock, until the woman says, "Just b/c these people are in need you think we are happy to get the bottom of the muffin?"

In NH federal funding to food banks is only granted when that food bank accepts only food within date, otherwise federal funding is withheld. Our local food bank is independent doing their own fundraising, budget and regulations so that they are not bound by the federal guidelines. They often accept outdated food.

The belief is that the shelf-life is just that, based upon a study that the manufacturer does to show that the product is good up until that date. However, many times the product is a new product so the "real-time" shelf life is fairly short or by federal guidelines an exponential study can only be forecasted for so long. Sorry I worked for a company that used shelf-life studies.

My sister's school, she a reading teacher, did a drive for feminine beauty and health products - she donated some soaps, lotions and a box of feminine products. Can you believe that some teachers actually brought in partially used soap and lotion dispensers, tampons not in a box and pads just put in a plastic bag?

Yes it is a donation, but come on- these are "sanitary" products for a reason.
hu.gif

I got a really good laugh about the Seinfield episode - so true, and I remember seeing that one... hysterical!
lol.png

A friend of mine took me into the Goodwill store - I had never seen one - just the dropoff locations. Anyways, I was asking her if Goodwill only sold donated items that were gently used, and she said yes. That the Goodwill is supposed to launder all clothes they sell, and so on. You can imagine (in good humor) my surprise when I saw a basket of loose underwear... uhhh.... yikes!
ep.gif
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that they were selling 'gently used panties' at the Goodwill store. Certainly it was donated new??? Too bad they didn't leave it in the package??
th.gif

Last edited:
One of my dearest friends is one of three paid employees at our local food bank. I always donate money because it goes alot farther than the equivilent food I would purchase. They get to use the money as they need it. They provide many more services that just food.....

disaster relief
clothing allowances
manage coats for kids
utility help for the elder and those in need
community gardens for clients
a thrift store, where the proceeds go back into the center
computers for kid (donated, refurbished computers)
presciption help

In 2008 our local food bank had a 45% increase in clients.....

I don't donate expired food, and I don't think anyone else should either.

When I was pregnant with my second child I went 3 days with no food. We had no money to buy any until my DH got his first check. I also had a 2 y.o. child. He ate any food that we had. No help from food stamps. No food pantry here. I would of taken the out dated cans of food and been greatful for them.
On a different note. Safeway has tons of food stacked in the back. They ship it all out of the country. I guess they feel that if they give it to food banks it would cut into their profit.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif
and a
th.gif

OMG I boiled Minute Rice in a bag once and took it out getting ready to open the bag and saw a BUG in it...

ep.gif

that went into the trashcan so fast.....

Nope.. aint eatin' nuthin with a bug in it.... I was gagging and grossed out so bad I still have issues eating rice. AND I inspect every single grain now (open the bags and boxes first). If it even looks like a dang bug.. its in the trash (entire box)

You're braver than I my lady!

Sadly, if you are hungry enough you'll gladly eat just about anything.
sad.png

Little kids don't know to be picky. A toddler will eat out of a trash can given the opportunity and something is there they think they want.
sad.png

Most of us are very fortunate that we have never known true hunger.

Back
Top Bottom