My week old chicks are having weird poops. Is this cecal or should I be worried about coccidiosis?

Shieldmaifen95

Hatching
Aug 18, 2023
First time chicken mama!

I got 3 unvacinated chicks last Sunday and they are on Purina medicated feed.

They all appear healthy, none are lethargic and they are all eating and drinking happily. One had pasty butt the first day but it hasn't come back since I got her all cleaned up.

One of them (not sure which) has made a couple of weird droppings. The first time I noticed it looked kind of like peanut butter. I freaked out and started googling and found out about cecal poo. I relaxed a bit but have been keeping my eye on their droppings.

Now I've seen a few that are runnier and I'm concerned.
20230818_163902.jpg
20230818_163806.jpg

I have a vet appointment next week on Monday to have the chick in question examined but it's going to be expensive. I'd rather not waste the money if I'm just being paranoid. Not to mention I don't even know which one is producing these poops and will have to seperate them and that will be challenging.

Cecal poops are usually runny and look like that, they also tend to smell worse than normal poop. If you've got them on medicated chick feed and they're all moving, eating, acting, and look normal then I wouldn't think it's a cause for concern.

It's cecal. Chicks can have really funky poops. Extremely unlikely such young chicks would have coccidiosis as it takes a while to build up a parasite load, plus you don't mention any sort of symptoms that would indicate a problem.

Back
Top Bottom