Mystery Illness, Sick Hen

Nov 22, 2022
East Bay Area, California :)
Ok I have a mystery illness in one of my hens… I have a flock of 14, they are all 3 years old now. About two months ago I noticed one of my red stars wasn’t pecking around like the rest of the flock, she just stood in the middle of the other hens and shook her head occasionally. When I picked her up I noticed she was scary thin. No signs of mites/lice, belly felt fine, not egg bound, basically no obvious signs as to why she wasn’t eating and had gotten so skinny. We hand fed her for the rest of the week and she seemed to be doing much better. Fast forward to now and she appears to be in the same state again… I decided to treat for worms just in case, so administered the first dose of Valbazen three days ago. She seemed really bad last night and I thought she wouldn’t make it to today, but she’s still here this morning, although her demeanor is the same. I’m going to continue hand feeding and hope she recovers, but is there anything I might be missing? Her poop looks fine except that it’s quite small and dark green (which seems normal for a hen that’s not eating much?). No signs of crop impaction or sour crop. We don’t give a lot of treats, and there’s always oyster shell and grit available. Anyone had to deal with a chicken that is obviously not well but you can’t figure out why? Maybe she’s got something internally that I can’t fix, I just wish I could figure it out and help her.

Attachments

• IMG_9968.png
    IMG_9968.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9969.png
    IMG_9969.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Is she still laying? Can you offer her raw yolk, also stuff calcium citrate into her beak once a day for a weekView attachment 3638794
I don’t think she’s laying or has been, but I’m not 100% sure. I’m willing to try the extra calcium supplement for her, is what she’s experiencing a sign of not getting enough? Thank you so much for replying!

I don’t think she’s laying or has been, but I’m not 100% sure. I’m willing to try the extra calcium supplement for her, is what she’s experiencing a sign of not getting enough? Thank you so much for replying!
Yes, I lost a hen because of that. We'll start with the calcium citrate, get her to eat pronto, whatever she wants. If you can keep her as idle as possible. A roomy crate in the run perhaps? Do you have nutri drench? I would try to give her some undiluted as well.

Yes, I lost a hen because of that. We'll start with the calcium citrate, get her to eat pronto, whatever she wants. If you can keep her as idle as possible. A roomy crate in the run perhaps? Do you have nutri drench? I would try to give her some undiluted as well.
I am so sorry, thank you for sharing your experience, I will get her going with the calcium citrate! I did give her nutridrench yesterday since she looked so poorly. I’ll give her some eggs and offer a bunch of other things too. A crate in the run is a good idea, I have an extra large dog crate sitting around that i’ll setup right now. Thank you!

I am so sorry, thank you for sharing your experience, I will get her going with the calcium citrate! I did give her nutridrench yesterday since she looked so poorly. I’ll give her some eggs and offer a bunch of other things too. A crate in the run is a good idea, I have an extra large dog crate sitting around that i’ll setup right now. Thank you!
You'd just put her in the coop at night, so she can be with her sisters....or perhaps at dusk so she can roost on her own.

Back
Top Bottom