NAIS/Premise ID and buying from hatcheries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in IOwa if you own sheep or goats, you have to be in a scrapie program.. thats mandatory.. then.. here is the catch.. if you are in the scrapie program, you have to register your premise and many don't even know they have.. yet its voluntary.. go figure.

I think that is how Michigan is, they automatically enroll you. I heard about that and told them I did NOT want to be enrolled.

Indiana, last I heard was making it mandatory on a state level. BUT!!!!! when people refused to do it, the state backed down. No one was fined, jailed etc because so many people refused.. would have been best if they would have actually voted agienst it.. but.. at least they stood up for thier rights and refused. So yes it is mandatory, and yes someday they will trickle in inforcement, but right now the government of IN is letting sleeping dogs lay.

Quote:
MI is playing the TB card and making it mandatory due to TB and something else in deer?? could be TB? I forget.. If you have heard of the Greg Newtindorff case then you have an idea of what people in MI are going through.
MI is inforcing it. If you don't register your premise you can't sell milk, or livestock.. and they have threaten jail on a few occations.
Your Amish population has also reduced.

Quote:
Because California law rarely holds water for the rest of the country. Most court's will not even look at a California case for precedent unless you are in Cali of course.

NAIS makes my blood run cold. Like a lot of folks, many of my animals are as much pets as livestock. The thought of an entity as ungoverned as the government having control over them is heartbreaking. NoNAIS.org has the ADGA on their naughty list. I'm registered as a farm with them, and all of my goats are registered with them. Does anyone have any info on how they're handling their members? I've also heard some scary stuff about Farm Bureau.

Yes, MI is TB for cows (also found in deer) and scrapies for sheep and goats. Oh and I think pseudo rabies for hogs. I know at our fair, any pigs must go to slaughter after fair, they can't go home.

I have a question...are you automatically enrolled in NAIS if you have the state come in to do NPIP testing? I know you're automatically on the government records, but was always curious if it ultimately ended up being the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom