Naked Neck Hen sneezing, seems a little hot, quivers every now and then

ArtCaptain

Songster
5 Years
Dec 13, 2014
California
Hey fellow chicken keepers! I have a hen (around 1 year old going on 2 yrs) who's been sneezing a lot lately. I know that every now and then my chickens will sneeze from eating or drinking too fast, but she's exhibiting the typical symptoms of a sick bird: fluffed up, somewhat loss of appetite.

She will eat when i put her away from everyone else, she's like the omega so she has a hard time getting food than everyone else.

When she sneezes wet stuff does come out, but it doesn't look terrible because it's like water droplets.

She does seem to be breathing a little heavier compared to the others. I noticed that her skin was a little bit on the purple side last week but it could've been that it was kinda cold (California cold). Her skin looks better now, but she does seem to look a little gaunt. (I'll include pictures at the end!)

Right now she's sleeping in the garage in a cage so she can have better ventilation and have a chance to eat.

If anyone has any idea what this might be, I'd appreciate the help!

IMG_20181126_195404.jpg
IMG_20181126_195408.jpg

been sneezing a lot lately. I know that every now and then my chickens will sneeze from eating or drinking too fast, but she's exhibiting the typical symptoms of a sick bird: fluffed up, somewhat loss of appetite.
she has a hard time getting food than everyone else.
When she sneezes wet stuff does come out, but it doesn't look terrible because it's like water droplets.
Have you added any new birds within the last 30days?
Is she molting too?
Photos of her poop?
Do you hear any wheezing, coughing?

I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks. Make sure that is emptying o.k.

I would see is she improves with separation and getting to eat/drink.

Good luck with your girl. May I kindly suggest multiple feeders to make sure she gets her share moving forward? My lower ranked girls get bullied from the feeders, and I have found having several ensures everyone gets to eat their fill. (on a side note, this created a clean-up issue when the rain started and I the feeders need to be in different places on rainy days, which comes as a surprise to the flock.)

Good luck with your girl. May I kindly suggest multiple feeders to make sure she gets her share moving forward? My lower ranked girls get bullied from the feeders, and I have found having several ensures everyone gets to eat their fill. (on a side note, this created a clean-up issue when the rain started and I the feeders need to be in different places on rainy days, which comes as a surprise to the flock.)

That's a good idea, I usually just put the feed on the ground but there is this one hen who tends to spend more time chasing everyone than actually eating haha

Have you added any new birds within the last 30days?
Is she molting too?
Photos of her poop?
Do you hear any wheezing, coughing?

I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks. Make sure that is emptying o.k.

I would see is she improves with separation and getting to eat/drink.

1. We did add this rooster, but she was already sick before he came around.
2. I thought she was molting because she lost her tail feathers but it seems to have stopped i guess.
3. eggs poo.jpg
4. She doesn't wheeze or cough, just sneezes every now and then

Back
Top Bottom