Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Yes, very true. I used to think of NNs as more scraggly, but many on this thread are actually very sleek and beautiful. At what age do you usually slaughter them? A few months? Or do they take longer?

I haven't culled anything yet. But I know it depends on what breed are they bred to since there is not many "pure" naked necks. But ours are slaughtered at the age of about four months.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm honestly surprised sometimes with how popular silkies are. I do love that fluff but they're a pain! I always wondered if I raised them wrong since my NN roo is so sweet. Heisenberg sounds so cute oh my gosh! What a little baby
love.gif
If you're an attacker the stew pot is always open but that sounds like a nice, loving life up to the end - and loved afterwards!
gig.gif

This is my Heisenberg....

And this is his son, Ozzy, 6 weeks old in the photo:

He now has a lot more red bursting through his black feathering. He definitely has his daddy's comb!

and beauty as well!

And funny! He does this ridiculous head bob thing when he gets worked up, and sometimes I think just because he likes to make his wattles slap his face. The silliest chicken, but a really good rooster. He's so good to his girls and at caring for the flock. I love watching all of my boys work together to protect the girls when they think something dangerous is nearby. And he's unbelievably gentle too. He's removed "specs" from my hands, face, etc. so gently that I can barely feel the touch of his beak. Yeah....he's a keeper.
love.gif

And...just because I love posting pictures of my birds....Here's my young cockerel, Zazzle at his 8-weeks old photo shoot:

I'm really loving his buff barred feathering, a most pleasant surprise, and the density of his musculature and growth rate so far. Right now this is my first pick of "keeper" from the two hatches.

Joining the thread with my Turken cockerel! Honestly this pintsized beauty is such a sweet little bean. My silkie cockerel grew big enough to attack me, which he does and I have to put him in his place, but this little boy couldn't hurt a fly. He was seperated from his lifelong mate because his crowing was disruptive, so I took him in & he is so much sweeter then my silkie & he really gets doubletakes from visitors
1f602.png

He reminds me of my "lap cockerel" of the moment, Neo. They're all friendly, but Neo and one of the pullets (Sweetie) are the only two that beg to be picked up.

- Ant Farm

Well seeing all the pictures make me want to take some more of mine but not right now way too muddy.
Here us what I look like after taking care of mine:

So much rain I think they said 5 and a 1/2 inches in three/four days.

They will be 11 weeks old tomorrow 12/3/2015. I've decided on the 4 cockerels that I want to keep.

Here's the sexes if the 25 I have left from the 9/17/15 hatch.
8 cockerels
17 pullets.

Everyone have a great day/ week. And a hardy welcome to all the newcomers to the thread.

I'll see all later. Been busy with the new job and don't come here as much anymore. Usually look in about everyday but don't have much to say.

Well seeing all the pictures make me want to take some more of mine but not right now way too muddy.
Here us what I look like after taking care of mine:

So much rain I think they said 5 and a 1/2 inches in three/four days.

They will be 11 weeks old tomorrow 12/3/2015. I've decided on the 4 cockerels that I want to keep.

Here's the sexes if the 25 I have left from the 9/17/15 hatch.
8 cockerels
17 pullets.

Everyone have a great day/ week. And a hardy welcome to all the newcomers to the thread.

I'll see all later. Been busy with the new job and don't come here as much anymore. Usually look in about everyday but don't have much to say.

yuckyuck.gif

Okay...how do you do that? How do you get so many pullets to hatch? This last hatch was 26 strong and it looks like 16 of them are cockerels! When I hatched my Biels, I got 6 cockerels and only 3 pullets. Even my first NN hatch resulted in only 5 pullets and 7 cockerels. Please...tell me your trick!
wink.png
lau.gif

:yuckyuck

Okay...how do you do that? How do you get so many pullets to hatch? This last hatch was 26 strong and it looks like 16 of them are cockerels! When I hatched my Biels, I got 6

cockerels and only 3 pullets. Even my first NN hatch resulted in only 5 pullets and 7 cockerels. Please...tell me your trick! ;) :lau

I sex the egg.

Back
Top Bottom