Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Red hair??? Perhaps Bane is Black/Irish.
gig.gif

Tried to get a photo of Vanilla my NN/EE named by Kass. This is the best I got.

A good shot of my Old Cream Brabanter plus SLPolish and Cream Legbar

On their new roost

Wednesday the 2nd of December I separated my cockerels from the pullets.

Funny thing today I've got a littke pullet that decided my feet are monsters or something. She walks in front of me staring at my feet, so today I wiggled them at her. She started to attack but backed off and ran. It was way too funny to watch.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder why I ever paid for cable in the past when I could have just gotten chickens for entertainment. Haven't laughed out loud so much in my life!

One of my 12 wk old freezer-bound New Hampshire frat boys keeps getting out of the paddock while I'm at work - I get home and he's usually just hanging out waiting to be put back in. Today I went out back when I got home and Dumbledore (Cream Legbar cockerel, oldest boy in the yard) was making disapproving noises (I swear, he can practically talk). I looked, and the little fence hopper had gotten out again and was trying to make friends with the little 6 week old Speckled Sussex pullets through their run wire - they were NOT interested in the company...
lau.gif

Oh, and I was watching Bane today - he runs like a sumo wrestler!!!! I tried very hard not to laugh at him, because I didn't want to get "THE STARE".
lol.png

- Ant Farm

Mine are pets and they are laying hens as well. I'm developing a line of olive egger NNs as well as chocolate brown egg laying NNs. I already have the olives. One more generation to the dark brown eggs. The eggs they lay now are pretty dark, but not quite dark enough for my taste.

The good thing about crossing NNs with marans is that the marans are very large birds and it just contributes to the size. Win-Win
In my experience my Bluelaced wyandotte NN cross lays very large eggs and is a big calm girl. But without the dull personality of
Wyandotte. Both my Marans have an Ok personality. Blue Blue Bertha and Splash sister they are.

DELICIOUS!! That's actually why I started raising them. My local poultry farm that I have always bought my eating chickens from has Naked Necks sometimes, and Cornish crosses when they don't have/can't get Naked Neck chicks to start with. DRASTIC difference in taste - not only in the meat but also in the skin - to me, she you roast it, it tastes like you deep fried it... I decided that if I would raise meat birds, they'd be Naked Necks or NN crosses.

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm...

- Ant Farm

Somebody on another thread said in France, naked neck was rated by some kind of group as either the second or third best tasting chicken. Bresse was first, with naked neck and barbezieux coming in as the next two best tasting.

I'd known free range naked neck was very popular for excellent skin in particular along good meat taste.

However I'm not clear if they meant NN in general or a specific NN breed/line.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm honestly surprised sometimes with how popular silkies are. I do love that fluff but they're a pain! I always wondered if I raised them wrong since my NN roo is so sweet. Heisenberg sounds so cute oh my gosh! What a little baby
love.gif
If you're an attacker the stew pot is always open but that sounds like a nice, loving life up to the end - and loved afterwards!
gig.gif

Haha funny! and welcome.

I think it's the fuzziness that makes them so popular and also the reason so many people give them considerable leeway as for their bad temperaments.... a nasty silkie rooster are so often described as "very protective of his girls" while a RIR of the exact same attitude don't get that "defense" so much.. actually RIR have something of a reputation for very mean roosters.

Aggression IS genetic, however environment plays a part. For example, a cockerel with mild genetic tendency for aggression is more likely not to attack people if raised hands off or raised by mother hen in a mixed flock.. while this exact same rooster could become very aggressive with people if hand-raised to be very tame. That's why there's so so so much variety of opinions on aggressive roosters, how to raise them and especially on how to handle rooster attacks. So many miss out on the fact the rooster aggression comes on a spectrum of sorts.

Anyways I also suspect with silkie bad behavior being excused so often, more of them get to breed and pass on their aggressive genetics.. and people continue to make excuses for the little fuzzies and so on...

Another probable factor is their black skin and meat, way too many Americans just won't even try tasting it.. so the cockerels aren't being butchered out of the gene pool...

by the way my worst chicken bites were from silkies. I used to work on a showgirl project, using excellent show stock silkies- the super round puff balls. Pretty nice to look at and pet... but there were several birds that would make me bleed every time they were picked up.... one rooster in particular gouged bits of my skin like it was butter. He also liked to bite on and twist really good.

Last edited:
Yeah, I sometimes wonder why I ever paid for cable in the past when I could have just gotten chickens for entertainment. Haven't laughed out loud so much in my life!

One of my 12 wk old freezer-bound New Hampshire frat boys keeps getting out of the paddock while I'm at work - I get home and he's usually just hanging out waiting to be put back in. Today I went out back when I got home and Dumbledore (Cream Legbar cockerel, oldest boy in the yard) was making disapproving noises (I swear, he can practically talk). I looked, and the little fence hopper had gotten out again and was trying to make friends with the little 6 week old Speckled Sussex pullets through their run wire - they were NOT interested in the company...
lau.gif

Oh, and I was watching Bane today - he runs like a sumo wrestler!!!! I tried very hard not to laugh at him, because I didn't want to get "THE STARE".
lol.png

- Ant Farm

I think he wants to live!

Haha funny! and welcome.

I think it's the fuzziness that makes them so popular and also the reason so many people give them considerable leeway as for their bad temperaments.... a nasty silkie rooster are so often described as "very protective of his girls" while a RIR of the exact same attitude don't get that "defense" so much.. actually RIR have something of a reputation for very mean roosters.

Aggression IS genetic, however environment plays a part. For example, a cockerel with mild genetic tendency for aggression is more likely not to attack people if raised hands off or raised by mother hen in a mixed flock.. while this exact same rooster could become very aggressive with people if hand-raised to be very tame. That's why there's so so so much variety of opinions on aggressive roosters, how to raise them and especially on how to handle rooster attacks. So many miss out on the fact the rooster aggression comes on a spectrum of sorts.

Anyways I also suspect with silkie bad behavior being excused so often, more of them get to breed and pass on their aggressive genetics.. and people continue to make excuses for the little fuzzies and so on...

Another probable factor is their black skin and meat, way too many Americans just won't even try tasting it.. so the cockerels aren't being butchered out of the gene pool...

by the way my worst chicken bites were from silkies. I used to work on a showgirl project, using excellent show stock silkies- the super round puff balls. Pretty nice to look at and pet... but there were several birds that would make me bleed every time they were picked up.... one rooster in particular gouged bits of my skin like it was butter. He also liked to bite on and twist really good.

You know, there's a documentary on Netflix about chickens - not bad, but there's a woman who has a little Silkie house rooster who is waaaaay into him (like, swims with him in the pool, takes him shopping). I think they may lend themselves to that sort of pet bird thing. (I have NOTHING against house chickens - the only reason I have chickens now is that my neighbor has a little bantam cochin rooster named Francois that I took care of while she was out of town once. Oh, and she had 6 cats and two small dogs. He totally keeps them all in line...)

I would love to try black fleshed meat birds like Silkies due to my previous experiences eating it in Singapore, and would love to have big birds like these. But I think it may be more reasonable to just select for melanized/Fm birds in my Naked Necks - maybe I can get some hatching eggs or chicks from some folks here who are further along on this - HINT, HINT)

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
You know, there's a documentary on Netflix about chickens - not bad, but there's a woman who has a little Silkie house rooster who is waaaaay into him (like, swims with him in the pool, takes him shopping). I think they may lend themselves to that sort of pet bird thing. (I have NOTHING against house chickens - the only reason I have chickens now is that my neighbor has a little bantam cochin rooster named Francois that I took care of while she was out of town once. Oh, and she had 6 cats and two small dogs. He totally keeps them all in line...)

I would love to try black fleshed meat birds like Silkies due to my previous experiences eating it in Singapore, and would love to have big birds like these. But I think it may be more reasonable to just select for melanized/Fm birds in my Naked Necks - maybe I can get some hatching eggs or chicks from some folks here who are further along on this - HINT, HINT)

- Ant Farm

If it's the one I'm thinking of... the naked necks you can catch glimpses of were actually from me! If I remember correctly.. they were from a line of NN/asil/araucana I used for setting on peafowl eggs.

There are some of us with Fm naked necks....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom