Naked Neck/Turken Thread

If it's the one I'm thinking of... the naked necks you can catch glimpses of were actually from me! If I remember correctly.. they were from a line of NN/asil/araucana I used for setting on peafowl eggs.

There are some of us with Fm naked necks....
wink.png

Oh, I need to watch it again, then...

Yeah, I know. I have a work trip to the San Diego area next July - maybe I could get some Fm eggs from you and drive home...

- Ant Farm

(edit to add: that's a heck of a drive...)

Last edited:
I'm still uncertain of my sexing on these young birds! They were born 10/23 and will be turning coop age later this month. I'm so used to serama, their sex characteristics are super pronounced super early. But here is what I'm thinking, and I'd love to know from more experienced eyes than mine if I seem on it or not:

Tugboat - I am thinking cockerel. His comb isn't super big but it is red.

Hamster - I am thinking pullet. Their comb is nice and pale, and not too large. I'm worried they might yet surprise me, though.

Marshmallow - Pullet, pretty sure! I've not had a rose comb before but she didn't even show any red 'til this week.

Werewolf - He's a cockerel. He's gotta be LMAO

Pork - I want to say pullet?? Their comb isn't ever really red even when their face is. I honestly can't tell what Pork is for the life of me.

Their legs aren't as thick as Werewolf's or Tugboat's either, but without a cap of feathers or something other than skin color to compare the redness to it is really hard to tell!

I'm still uncertain of my sexing on these young birds! They were born 10/23 and will be turning coop age later this month. I'm so used to serama, their sex characteristics are super pronounced super early. But here is what I'm thinking, and I'd love to know from more experienced eyes than mine if I seem on it or not:

Hamster - I am thinking pullet. Their comb is nice and pale, and not too large. I'm worried they might yet surprise me, though.

Marshmallow - Pullet, pretty sure! I've not had a rose comb before but she didn't even show any red 'til this week.

Pork - I want to say pullet?? Their comb isn't ever really red even when their face is. I honestly can't tell what Pork is for the life of me.

Their legs aren't as thick as Werewolf's or Tugboat's either, but without a cap of feathers or something other than skin color to compare the redness to it is really hard to tell!

I'll only add that in my very limited experience, I could tell the sex of all my NNs really early except my rose combed one, which I thought was a pullet for a really long time... but who ended up as Bane/Mr. Smith, my biggest and earliest crowing, lead cockerel. But Kev nailed it way before I did from my photos.

Again, the best mantra is: Always listen to Kev.
lol.png

So, Kev, what do you think?
roll.png

- Ant Farm

LOVE this picture! So clear and unusual pose!

I'll let others have fun guessing(I don't have confident guesses on all btw) but I do want to say it can help a lot to include a whole side body shot. People get too obsessed with combs for sexing, it can be a valuable clue however many times seeing the whole bird can help a fair bit. Sometimes it is hard to be sure just from pictures.

The other problem is you got eggs from a pen with pullets with very different body types(some meat type, some light in type) so legs are not going to help much in sexing.

I'll only add that in my very limited experience, I could tell the sex of all my NNs really early except my rose combed one, which I thought was a pullet for a really long time... but who ended up as Bane/Mr. Smith, my biggest and earliest crowing, lead cockerel. But Kev nailed it way before I did from my photos.

Again, the best mantra is: Always listen to Kev.
lol.png

So, Kev, what do you think?
roll.png

- Ant Farm

Haha I'm not infallible! Experienced I will grant but am wrong many times and know that full well. I'm actually not sure about some of those babies.

Would love any and all guesses. :)

I am not sure about tugboat and pork, for the rest I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Skink

I'm still uncertain of my sexing on these young birds! Just want to voice one guess, I am thinking PORK looks male. This is just for fun because I've never been good at sexing. Except sex link birds ha ha

KEV My silkie roosters were the opposite of your supposition. The one that was handled as a pet was horrible and the one that was not handled was OK.
hu.gif

Originally Posted by Skink

I'm still uncertain of my sexing on these young birds! Just want to voice one guess, I am thinking PORK looks male. This is just for fun because I've never been good at sexing. Except sex link birds ha ha

Haha good one.. but you made me think of something.. won't ever be able to use any sex linking for sexed day old scaleless.. how funny is that!
KEV My silkie roosters were the opposite of your supposition. The one that was handled as a pet was horrible and the one that was not handled was OK.
hu.gif

I think we probably are in agreement. Those two could have been my example of same 'mild inclination towards aggressive' turning out different depending on how they were raised... tame= mean, hands off= not mean.

Back
Top Bottom