Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    This IS very confusing. One would think that a term would be used for a pure NN (lets call that a Turken) and a hybrid (Naked Neck) OR vice versa. When talking shop it's often confusing. I assume when I'm purchasing NN's that I'm purchasing a 'pure' bird. What I've discovered though is that some are and some aren't. This would be a topic for the Naked Neck club to put on the table. Did anything come of that? (the club?). My two cents, which is really only worth a half a cent. :confused:

2. onemomof4

onemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    westville
    The truth is that NN is a trait and not a breed the sop has the nn as a breed but they could have NNs of any breed or color just ask any genetic goro and they will tell you the same Naked neck it a genetic trait and is more simular to a dominate color than breed

For examle frizzel is a trait that can be added to anny breed or color

For example silkie feathers can be breed into any breed

I could go on and on but geneticly NN is a trait not a breed

Also you say your "pure" are small ? The sop calls for cocks that are 8 1/2 lb to 9 1/2 lb sorry but that's not "small"

3. onemomof4

onemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    westville
    The official term is NN. The term terken is hatchery slang

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Here are a couple of my pics of chicks from eggs I got from banjoe. I haven't checked the leg scales yet they are sooooo tiny when they get a little bigger I'll check for that, but they are adorable whether or not they carry Sc.

[​IMG]
    This one has the lightest feather colors

[​IMG]
    Here are the lightest and medium colored ones

[​IMG]
    and the lightest and darkest.

[​IMG]
    This one is the darkest feather and skin color her skin is so dark it shines blue.

[​IMG]
    This is my fav pic so far gotta loooooooooooooooove those eye feathers!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Should I do some Showgirls next year? I've got Silkies now.
    Probably not.

6. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Why? or Why not??

7. BackyardCoop

BackyardCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
  8. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    verry true genetly the NAKED NECK is more like a trait

it is HOWEVER a showable " breed " and is in the APA SOP the officail term is naked neck
    reconized colors are RED--BLACK--BUFF--WHITE they are defanatly NOT a small LF they SOP has them at 8 1/2 lb witch is heavier than dominques by a 1 1/2 lb and the same as a wyandottes,Rhode island red ,delawares ex ex ex i would not consider them "small" anny NN that comes from a hatchery "they call them turkens witch is just slang for muut NN " or anny color not in the SOP could not be "called pure"

but in my opinyon they are a trait and should be in the sop as such just like frizzels witch can be shown in anny breed and anny color in fack the frizzel genetics work a lot like the NN geen they are both incoplet domanet. homozigouse frizzels are called "frazzels " and are not disierable but the genetics act in allmost the verry same way but this is just my opinyon

9. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    kass - good looking chicks if you seend me pics of the side of there legs i will let you know if they carry the scaless geen or not

10. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I'll try and get Gary to help me to get leg pics tonight. Getting a good enough focus while holding a chick that just wants to get back to momma is not easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by