Naked Neck/Turken Thread

if your NN roo is homozigous them 100% would be NN but silkie feathering is resesive and it would take 2 generations to get a show girl

breed NN roo with silkies---if homozigous 100% nn if hetrozigous 50% nn --all would be smooth feathered

keep F1s that has 5 toes and breed them back to the silkies ---50% would thatch NN 25% would hatch silkie feathered

keep silkie feathered NN and breed back to silkies--- to get 50% show girls
Here are my very small NN survived from eggs from Banjoejoe. And Victor my only surviving adult rooster.

If I have the patience, I might breed blue partridge Showgirls. OTOH What color showgirls do you have Joe. Since I would love some eggs from your dark skinned birds ?

KEV
frow.gif

Banjoejoe4783 You may note that I used the term 'pure' in parentheses. As a chicken which is very like the modern NN chicken has been recognised in the States since at least 1810, in Europe from the 18th century,and in Malaysia since the 17th century, and breeds absolutely true, I believe it more than fair to call them a definite entity. (Bearing in mind that many recognised varieties of chicken have only been recognised since the 19th Century, and some e.g Blue Partridge Brahma don't exactly breed true). From now on I'll call these 'pure'.

One theory is that the modern NN was developed in Madagascar in the 17th or 18th century from a cross between the Ga Noi game fowl and what is described as a 'common fowl'. This is not the only theory, though, as another claims they originated in Malaysia in the 17th century as a cross between the Malgache Game Fowl and another unspecified.Yet another claims origin in Hungary in the 18th century.

The term "Naked Neck" is somewhat confusing as it can refer either to the 'pure' form or birds who have a reduced neck and body feathering, but may have one parent who is e.g (as in my case) Brahma. Still described as 'Naked Neck', but really Hybrid Naked Neck.

There are LF and bantam varieties of the 'pure' Naked Neck chicken....and these may be homozygous for the incompletely dominant allele located on chromosome 3 leading to feather suppression (Na/Na) or heterozygous (Na/na+), with the homozygotes having a completely naked neck or just a few feathers and the heterozygotes having a larger 'bow tie'. Homozygote parents will have very naked necks and produce 100% offspring with the same very naked necks.

If any genetics gurus would like to chip in, please do!

My guess- I agree the use of "naked neck" can be a bit confusing because like you say, it describes *both* a "modern" breed with SOP OR a specific genetic trait.

Sometimes when someone comes on and talks about naked necks, it's not always immediately clear if the person is talking about the SOP breed or a non-SOP bird with a naked neck or what...? Same goes for seeing an ad in the local paper advertising naked necks for sale- are these birds the SOP breed, hatchery stock or backyard mixes with naked necks..?

This problem also can come up in middle of a discussion between people who 'know' each other.. one person might, during the conversation, come to mean specifically the trait or the breed when the other person(s) might think the person is talking about one or the other and the wires get crossed...

It'd be so much easier if say, the SOP breed had a different name like say, "Bavarian Chicken". Much easier to separate the breed vs. a specific trait.

Think I see a row of missing scales on that one chick- in pictures 3 and 4. seems to be accentuated by the 'part' between leg fuzz. Congrats on cute chickies and really hope it's a carrier rooster for you.. ;)
Here are the lightest and medium colored ones

and the lightest and darkest.

This one is the darkest feather and skin color her skin is so dark it shines blue.

but in my opinyon they are a trait and should be in the sop as such just like frizzels witch can be shown in anny breed and anny color in fack the frizzel genetics work a lot like the NN geen they are both incoplet domanet. homozigouse frizzels are called "frazzels " and are not disierable but the genetics act in allmost the verry same way but this is just my opinyon

Interesting thought- are you saying that maybe the naked neck should be considered a trait that can be introduced into any breed like it's being done with the frizzle gene in pekins etc? Like naked neck New Hampshires(you have very nice New Hampshires by the way), naked neck Polish, naked neck Ameraucanas etc?

As for SOP- I'd like to mention that pgpoultry is in Wales.. perhaps their SOP calls for different weights than the APA does. I agree that American large fowl naked neck birds can be very big and heavy birds. My very first naked neck was from a hatchery and she weighed 10 pounds- huge for a hen...

kev - love the silver laced NNs they look great

yes i think that Naked Necks should be veiwed more as a trait/variaty just like the frizzel the APA SOP staits that frizzels can be shown in anny color and anny breed for example frizzel cochin /pekin or frizzel OEGB EX EX EX

i think the Naked Neck should be the same " NN new hamps " or" NN polish" we allready have show girl silkies as long as the bird fits SOP in all other ways and has a Naked Neck i think it should be considered

Back
Top Bottom