Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Sorry to hear that you lost a bird to the heat, and hope the 'artificial showers' help,Flower. The jet stream has moved South, so in Britain we are having VERY cool weather with ridiculous amounts of rain, so summer is truly messed up this year.

KKH, my NNs are very good at going in the coop apart from Melvin who hangs around waiting to tread any latecomer hen to the coop.

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Now I am really jealous. You have some real gorgeous chicks.Good luck on the others.

3. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    How big do naked necks actually get because mine are HUGE and they still have their peep...They're larger then my Rode Island Red and shes a month older.

4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    My LF NNs are HUGH and they are not even pure NN but cross breeds for color and pea combs. I am wanting to make NN/EEs for the long term plan. Besides I like pea combs due to the cold tolerance. I never have had a RIR but I have had a hugh EE rooster but do not know what was in his make-up. If you want to see a very hugh NN breed a NN rooster to a Bramha hen and then back to a Jersy Giant or use all of those together in any mix. WOW that would be a bird close to turkey size.[​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Flower is right on the size issue.

My 'pure 'NNs are really quite small in my opinion ....hen about 5lbs rooster about 6lbs-7lbs, with most of that wattles, comb, crop, and attitude.

The rest of my NNs are a mix of NN X Something. As Flower says, if that "Something" is a large fowl, then the resultant cross tens to be taller and, at tomes heavier than the parent. I have a number of crosses with Brahma. Some of my Brahmas are particularly large. NN X Brahma in my flock gives a hen which is smaller than a Brahma, but quite heavy, an excellent forager, good egg layer, and may have good meat (but as a longstanding veggie I don't know and won't find out).The roosters, however, are taller than the Brahmas, very gamey, Jurassic Park looking boys. They are not generally that heavy (under 10lbs), but their height and long legs mean that they run like a track athlete on a high.

So, yes, if you want big, choose a 'partner' for your NN who is a big bird.

6. BackyardCoop

BackyardCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    [​IMG] I'm finding this SO true with my NN roo! Attitude for sure!!

Homeschoolchick- SO excited for you that you have babies!! [​IMG]

7. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    i have been seeing this teerm "used" alot there is realy NO SHUCH THING unless you have some madagascar game fowl SOP typ NNs are bewteen 8 and 10 bl witch is not small at all

i think the term you are looking for is HOMOZIGOUS or HETEROZIGOUS but you can have small or large NNs of both

heterozigouse nns carry one coppy of the NN geen and should poduse 50% NN chicks when breed to a feather necked bird geno typ looks like this Nn

homozigous carry both coppyes of the NN geen and no mather what you breed them to 100% of the chicks will be NNs geno typ is NN

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  8. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Banjoejoe4783 You may note that I used the term 'pure' in parentheses. As a chicken which is very like the modern NN chicken has been recognised in the States since at least 1810, in Europe from the 18th century,and in Malaysia since the 17th century, and breeds absolutely true, I believe it more than fair to call them a definite entity. (Bearing in mind that many recognised varieties of chicken have only been recognised since the 19th Century, and some e.g Blue Partridge Brahma don't exactly breed true). From now on I'll call these 'pure'.

One theory is that the modern NN was developed in Madagascar in the 17th or 18th century from a cross between the Ga Noi game fowl and what is described as a 'common fowl'. This is not the only theory, though, as another claims they originated in Malaysia in the 17th century as a cross between the Malgache Game Fowl and another unspecified.Yet another claims origin in Hungary in the 18th century.

The term "Naked Neck" is somewhat confusing as it can refer either to the 'pure' form or birds who have a reduced neck and body feathering, but may have one parent who is e.g (as in my case) Brahma. Still described as 'Naked Neck', but really Hybrid Naked Neck.

There are LF and bantam varieties of the 'pure' Naked Neck chicken....and these may be homozygous for the incompletely dominant allele located on chromosome 3 leading to feather suppression (Na/Na) or heterozygous (Na/na+), with the homozygotes having a completely naked neck or just a few feathers and the heterozygotes having a larger 'bow tie'. Homozygote parents will have very naked necks and produce 100% offspring with the same very naked necks.

If any genetics gurus would like to chip in, please do!

9. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm sorry that you lost a beautiful bird. Makes it more difficult when they're sweet. They do grow on us don't they? She was lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by