Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You're right, Flower. I'm becoming a real saddo who complains constantly about the weather (almost all British folk do....with reason!), who spends all the day naming chickens and sheep and whining.

Tee Hee, for somebody who pretty much travelled the world a few years back, I've become something of a valley recluse with a 5-years out-of-date passport. Must paddle through the mud to the Land Rover and get those photographs updated!

See you there.....mine's a double!

2. texcalkas

texcalkas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    We have a few hatchery Naked Necks (5 pullets) and am wondering, if and when I want to get better stock, ones that you can show, where do I even begin to look? I love this breed because of their uniquess, personality and the huge eggs they lay. The last hen we had layed quarter-pounders with double yolks every time. I am in SE Kansas...

3. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

My flock of Naked Necks are now starting to lay. Last week I got my first pullet egg, a nice dark brown little round egg! But today I got a real surprise, instead of my usual two eggs I got three. And it was GREEN! There is no way any of my other chickens can get into the pen so one of of Naked Necks is a green egg layer! These are all from Ideal Poultry, I wonder which of my girls layed it. And it is also a good size for a pullet egg.

My little brown pullet egg and my new green one today!
    [​IMG]

4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Check out Nava ,look back on the posts. A lot of us got our birds from her. She lives in Flordia and sends chicks through the mail but I would not consider ordering until spring time since the weather is so bad right now. She has not posted on-line here for a bit. Must be too busy ! Hey Nava where are you ?

5. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Yoie those eggs are lovely !!! And what luck to get a green/blue layer from Ideal. They are by far my favorite hatchery. Of course just like some BY and small farm breeders the buyer might receive some not so perfect chicks as with my Brabanters. But the hens that remain are great.

Anyone who is looking to augment their NNs will find several breeders on this thread but it will be necessary to go back and read a tremendous amount of post. Most of us do not have the time or patience to do that. But in the spring the buy sell adds will be a good place to look

pg does that mean that I need to wait untill you update your passport. Shucks !

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    If I bought eggs that were supposed to be "frizzled naked necks", how many out of 9 eggs would you expect to be frizzled AND naked necked? I only got one in the bunch that has both traits and I am trying not to feel mislead. Thoughts?

7. Hi! Did your seller say that ALL the chicks would be frizzled and naked neck?
    With the frizzle gene, most breeders use frizzle x smooth (to avoid getting chicks with two copies of the frizzle gene), so you can expect to get 50% frizzles and 50% smooth chicks.
    With the Naked Neck gene, even breeding two 'Nana+' (big bow-tie) Naked Neck birds will result in 25% feather neck chicks.

Good luck!

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    GASP! 60 degrees? Its anywhere from 100-110 everyday this week. (And Humid outside, too!)
    DOUBLE GASP! Rain? We're in a drought.. The grass is dry as a crisp and crunches every time you walk on it. We haven't had a nice good rain in 2-3 months now.
    Today was just awful, 85% humidity with a 105 degree temp, it felt like 115-120 degrees out there. My poor birdies aren't liking this weather at all!

9. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    No, they did qualify it that they wouldn't ALL be frizzle naked necks, but I think 1 out of 9 is a little low. The rest are perfectly plain chicks.

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd let them know what you got and that you're not a completely satisfied customer. I have a smooth Naked neck and let him hatch out 5 chicks, from 3 hens. One hen was smooth, two frizzle..but again, all were Naked Neck. I got 3 frizzle NN's 2 smooth. All were Naked Neck, 3 with tiny bow ties and 2 completely naked. I think that's probably more of what you were expecting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by