Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    The gene for naked necks (the officail name) is N and if the chicken carries two copies of that gene, the neck will bee completly naked or have a vsry small bow-tie on the neck. If only one gene is present the bow-tie will be larger. Since the three in your picture have small or no bow-tie, they have two N genes and are considered pure for naked so when bred together all offspring will be naked necks. If a NN is bred to a non naked neck 50% will be naked necks with large bow-tie, 25% with small bow-tie and 25% with feather necks. Those with feathers do not "carry" the naked neck gene because it is a dominate gene and will only be obvious as with offsprings with some degree of nakedness. Naked neck breed also have less feathers throught their body and are hardy, good foragers and mostly quiet birds.
    Your chipmunk bird may have one parent with feather and another with naked neck gene that was not inherited by offspring because with that breeding as stated above will not result in 100% naked necks. I am writing this here because a lot of us like to add different traits to our NN and need to understand that not all offspring will be what we are are wanting. Naked neck birds are a very good dual purpose breed that are fun to cross breed because you will know which offsprings are Naked and not wonder if a trait is being carried. You see what you get.

2. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I posted the above information as a test for my own knowledge and hope if it is not accurate one of our "geneticists" will read it and approve or correct.[​IMG]

3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    ok if they are homozigous for nacked neck NN with a small or no bow tie (Na NA) 100% of there offspring will be nacked necked even if breed to a feather necked bird and will all have larger bow ties

if they are heterozigouse for naked neck Nn with a larger bow tie ( Na na ) 50% of there offspring will be nacked necked if breed to a feather necked bird

4. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Jose thanks for this and now I will need to change my thinking.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Had to post on this as I may have a huge NN chick......I hope it lives. A large Brahma hen has been sitting with two eggs (plus others) from my largest NN hen X Gordon (NN X Blue Partridge Brahma). Unfortunately she squashed one a few days ago.

Today the other egg had pipped first thing. When I checked on her a short while ago, I was horrified to find the egg badly squashed under her (unhatched). I picked up the egg and it cheeped! It can't be alive, thought I.....but it was. With nothing to lose, I tore open the shell and membrane expecting to find an unabsorbed yolk sac. A fine thread at 'the business end" lengthened and pulled off easily and I had a live, large black NN chick in my palm.I gently unfolded it a bit and then pushed it under anxious momma hen. I thought it wasn't likely to live for long. BUT, 10 minutes later when I went to check on them, I heard quite loud cheeping from the chick and clucking from momma hen.
    It's hoping a bit much for the chick to survive,,,,but it's still alive right now.

OK, I may be pleased by little things.....but right now I'm pleased.

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Awesome sending good vibes from your fellow NN lovers across the pond.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The morning brings sorrow.

I guess some predator managed to get into the shed (or possibly the hen)and has eaten the chicks(another had successfully hatched). They are nowhere to be seen and the nest is destroyed with the two other eggs broken.

I'm pretty sad right now.

8. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    [​IMG]

9. I'm so sorry, PG! That is so sad.

10. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am so sorry PG. It is heartbreaking to find that something has happened to the babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by